real time web analytics
Report - - College of Art & Design, Barbourne, Worcester - Jan 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - College of Art & Design, Barbourne, Worcester - Jan 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

captainwow

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Site visited with non member on a depressingly grey January day.

This was a bit of a nostalgic one for me, as I studied here for two years after leaving school. To see it totally ripped apart was actually slightly sad, and I'm annoyed that I didn't know it'd closed and missed out on seeing the main part of it. Most of the classrooms, including the entire Health&Beauty department have been flattened, and the rest of it is being turned into a retirement home.
Bit of history (slightly adapted) from Wikipedia:
The site originally opened in 1929 as the third site of the Worcester Secondary School for Girls. In September 1945, it became the City of Worcester Grammar School for Girls. In 1962, it was moved across the city to the site of the current Worcester Sixth Form College. It merged with the School of Science and Art and became an Art and Design College, up until 1991 when the college changed its name to Worcester College of Technology, and the Barbourne College became the Art, Design and Sports department. It ran many courses including Media Production, Graphic Design, Photography, Make-up and Hair and Beauty. It stayed that way until it closed in 2014, when the college was moved to the old Russell and Dorrell building in the city centre. The college changed its name to the Heart of Worcestershire College after it merged with North East Worcestershire College in August 2014.

Apologies for the quality of some of the shots. My battery died as we got in there, so these are a mixture between the non member's camera and some shots from my phone.

Quick shot of the striking facade as it was in better times:
5012collegebuildingbarbourne_zps68ba0d5b.jpg

And how it looks now:
DSC00459_zps9b2b104b.jpg

The main hub of this place was always the library, seen here before closing:
header-study-centre-barbourne-1_zps1c8e6e33.jpg

Now just an empty shell:
DSC00432_zps4486c684.jpg

DSC00443_zpsa506ad74.jpg

DSC00454_zpse10b3d21.jpg

Thankfully, it seems like the place was locked up fairly quickly after closure, meaning the usual rock slinging knuckle draggers didn't get chance to do too much damage to much of the beautiful original details:
photo52_zps4595c1bb.jpg

DSC00434_zps093cc71c.jpg

Looking back out of the main doors towards the original entrance, and onwards to the amazing St.George's:
DSC00436_zps0575dd65.jpg

DSC00437_zpsa6064300.jpg

The downstairs corridors haven't faired so well after being left exposed to the elements for so long:
DSC00435_zpsc1779f34.jpg

DSC00438_zps3a823c64.jpg

DSC00440_zps77744fad.jpg

DSC00441_zps9bc5ffd7.jpg

The site of the stairwell is now just a gaping hole after demolition of the Beauty & Media wing:
DSC00439_zps56ee3f87.jpg

Upstairs corridor. The classrooms on the left were home to the theatrical make up & costume groups. The doors at the far end open out behind the fencing at the top of the original staircase:
DSC00445_zps132dc4b1.jpg

DSC00450_zpscb06ca58.jpg

Theatrical make up room:
DSC00447_zpse7d72640.jpg

DSC00448_zps83614985.jpg

The now roofless room straight in front were the original toilets. The white arch way to the right led into the refectory:
photo24_zps54d6c4de.jpg

photo34_zpscc8c8dfd.jpg

The refectory:
DSC00428_zpsecb10ff2.jpg

Underneath the refectroy is the very reason I became so curious about hidden spaces and underground structures. Whilst at the college, I'd been told about the existence of an underground substation here. I never got the chance to look at it whilst I was there, but this was a chance I couldn't pass up. Unfortunately, circumstances dictated a closer look than we got wasn't feasible due to the fact that the place was clearly a breeding ground for spores and mould of all descriptions, and I didn;t have my mask. Still:
photo25_zps4e818b24.jpg

First glimpse (and smell):
photo45_zpsb1035781.jpg

This is as far in as I was getting! You can clearly see that it bends around and carries on, and it's bigger than it looks. Perhaps a night visit with a mask is on the agenda. You can see the quality of the air in this picture:
photo35_zps29d421ed.jpg

It may not seem a lot, but being in that room was fairly important to me. I've wanted to see it for 12 years...

huey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: College of Art & Design, Barbourne, Worcester. Jan.'15

Interesting stuff,that def needs further investigation...:thumb

captainwow

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: College of Art & Design, Barbourne, Worcester. Jan.'15

I need to get back there sooner rather than later. Goggles and mask are a must tho!

thatspeakh

28DL Member
28DL Member
hey this is wild I studies here too, so many happy memories, I was really disapointed to hear the place had gone this way, It seems to have been restored now, not quite the same modernised a little. sad though, so many good memories, such an amazing art college with great teachers