real time web analytics
Report - - Colthrop Paper Mill, Thatcham, Berkshire, May 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Colthrop Paper Mill, Thatcham, Berkshire, May 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PCWOX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A small bit of history about the site:
There has probably been a mill at Colthrop since the time of the Domesday Survey in 1086, but references to it are few and far between until more recent times. The earliest records of Colthrop Mill are held today at Winchester College, which owned the 'manor' (estate) of Colthrop in the fifteenth century.
In 1956 the Reed Paper Group Limited took over the whole Colthrop site. Paper sack manufacture had been started at Colthrop in 1927. In 1930 this operation had been transferred to Aylesford and sold to Albert.E.Reed and Company in 1932. Then in 1950 the Reed Company took a financial interest in the Colthrop site, subsequently taking over completely. In May 1955, work was started on a new building, (the North Board Mill), and completed in May, 1958, at a cost of £5 million. The two paper-making machines were later shut down, one in 1966 and the other in 1971, so that paper-making effectively ceased at Colthrop from the latter date.
Visited alone. A nice relaxed stroll in the sun this one....

file-71.jpg

file-61.jpg

file-63.jpg

file-51.jpg

file-42.jpg

file-40.jpg

file-36.jpg

file-37.jpg

file-33.jpg

file-27.jpg

file-19.jpg

file-16.jpg

file-15.jpg

file-14.jpg

file-7.jpg

file-21.jpg

file-20.jpg

file-59.jpg

file-45.jpg

file-65.jpg

file-70.jpg

file-57.jpg

file-55.jpg

file-9.jpg

No problem for me ;)
file-6.jpg

Darragh Magee

28DL Member
28DL Member
hello i am thinking about going here soon do you have any idea if it is still there as all the reviews i can find are around 2013/2014

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
It was still there in August 2016. Go and have a look, then come back and let us know :thumb