real time web analytics
Report - - Cook's Kitchen Tin Mine Headgear, Cornwall. | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cook's Kitchen Tin Mine Headgear, Cornwall.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
climb with OT and Squirrel911

One of three shafts making up the South Crofty tin mine complex. Closed in 1998 pretty much ending tin mining in Cornwall. The mine has since re-opened with a new adit,leaving the headgear disused.

The headgear is an impressive double wheeler, as both the upcast and downcast shafts were fed by it. It is the tallest headstock left in Cornwall...

The workers on site for the new mine made reaching the headgear tough. It also meant I was not able to photograph the structure as thoroughly as I would have liked, but seeing the huge iron wheels made up for it.

While we were packing our cameras away I spotted a bloke waving a search blaster around. Lay low just in time to see the huge wheel light up from the beam! Lay on the soaking wet treadplate for a while before making a hasty exit!

Taken last year
DSC_0114.jpg

cinn1of9-1.jpg

cinn2of9-1.jpg

cinn4of9-1.jpg

cinn5of9-1.jpg

cinn6of9-1.jpg

cinn7of9-1.jpg

cinn8of9-1.jpg

cinn9of9-1.jpg

Last edited:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
A really good night out. First go at the headstocks we went to a suprisingly well manned and well lit compound, so a swift exit and a different approach was in order.

A few obstacles aside to test the thinking cap, and we were at the top. A bit rotten in places but generally solid. We were just packing up when along came the searchblaster and lit the place up. Damn. We spent the next 15 minutes eating wet rust, waiting for our time to make a swift getaway...

IMG_7312.jpg

IMG_7313.jpg

IMG_7314.jpg

IMG_7315.jpg

IMG_7317.jpg