real time web analytics
Report - - Corah textiles factory, Leicester- March 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Corah textiles factory, Leicester- March 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Francesca_bxx

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

I know this is a familiar one with a fair few who use this website so I won't delve too much into the history, have also linked a good website for more information if you are interested :) The factory building has been around since the middle of the 1800's. At the outbreak of World War II Corah had 4,500 employees but over half of that number left to join the Services or undertake war work. Regardless of the smaller workforce, the company produced 26 million knitted items for the government and processed around 250 million clothing coupons. Sadly the factory now sits unoccupied despite the factory having ran for over 150 years. Here is a the link: https://www.storyofleicester.info/a-working-town/corah-and-sons-st-margarets-works/

The explore

I had spotted this factory through chance, although after going on 28DL I discovered it has been covered many times. The factory itself is pretty sealed up around the perimeter, and was fortunate enough to get chatting to a local who advised us of the easiest way in (it was far from easy...). We decided to go today when the weather was ideal, and to our delight we got in safely and out of sight. Much of the building was sealed off so we explored what we could and still discovered some really nice spots including the main entrance with the reception desk, underground tunnels and a room with old textile items.

One of the old elevators

Parts of the factory have caught fire as you can see below

One of the top stories

I assumed some offices may have been here, the cubicles supplied the clues...

The front reception

You can see the tunnel entrance here

Some gorgeous details from the lift

We also found an old shell business card in one of the tunnels, one of the coolest finds seeing as much of it was empty now

We could have spent the whole day but decided to try and fit in as much as we could. Thank you for reading ! :)

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report, I can’t believe this place is still about it’s like the factory that just won’t die.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
You've done this place justice & yourself. What a great report, really comprehensive, and some good shots too :thumb

jiwon12

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hello i’m wanting to explore this place but its not giving the location, where is it? Somewhere around Abbey Park?

chills

Queller of the uprising
Hello i’m wanting to explore this place but its not giving the location, where is it? Somewhere around Abbey Park?

Locations aren’t provided on a plate but I will say it isn’t far from Abbey Park. Have a search around and you will find it soon enough.

jiwon12

28DL Member
28DL Member
:xgrin
Locations aren’t provided on a plate but I will say it isn’t far from Abbey Park. Have a search around and you will find it soon enough.
Hello, i did manage to find it and i looked around but i couldn’t find a way to get in so i just left it

Who has read this thread (Total: 275) View details