real time web analytics
Report - - County Hall, Ipswich, Suffolk - Jan 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - County Hall, Ipswich, Suffolk - Jan 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Cracked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is my first report (and first solo explore) although by no means my first explore. Having been Weeble’s exploring partner in all of our explores across England, France and Belgium, I’ve taken a back seat with the photography, but having a new camera to play with and some time to kill I thought I’d take a wander to something I’ve been meaning to take a look at for a while. Security is non-existent, and apart from a pigeon scaring the crap out of me whilst I was on a ladder, a really nice, relaxed explore. I’m surprised there isn’t another report on it already here.

On with the history!

Once the central offices of Suffolk County Council, this white brick and stone castellated building which dominates the town end of St Helens Street was known as County Hall. It was designed in 1836 and completed in 1837, by architect W. McIntosh Brooks in a mock Tudor style, complete with mock Tudor hall to the west. County Hall contained the law court which once granted the decree nisi in the divorce of the notorious Mrs Wallace Simpson from her first husband, freeing her to marry the future king, after his succession to and abdication from the throne as Edward VIII in 1936. Since then, a more modern office block, St. Andrew’s house, was added to the east side of county hall for administrative purposes. The old split in administrative areas of East and West Suffolk is commemorated here when they were amalgamated to form one large shire county.

County Hall itself is a grade two listed building and is currently vacant awaiting refurbishment into flats. There are also plans to utilise the grounds of the hall for new housing.

IMG_4989a.jpg

IMG_5011a.jpg

IMG_5007a.jpg

IMG_5003a.jpg

IMG_4978a.jpg

IMG_5031a.jpg

IMG_5035a.jpg

obligatory lonely chair
IMG_5054a.jpg

also obligatory long corridor
IMG_5057a.jpg

IMG_5051a.jpg