real time web analytics
Report - - Courtaulds Air Raid Shelters, Halstead - Sep 2022 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Courtaulds Air Raid Shelters, Halstead - Sep 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
The History

Time for a mini report here today. This set of sixteen air raid shelters in the town of Halstead, Essex, were built to serve the workers of Courtaulds Silk Factory during WW2. Courtaulds were a large silk manufacturer dating back to the 18th century, and first established the factory in Halstead in 1818. It saw gradual expansion over subsequent years, and continued use during WW2 including making parachutes. The factory eventually closed in 1982 and was partially demolished, although these shelters still remain on its former perimeter. Part of the silk mill also appears to survive in a restored state. There has been ongoing petitions to save the shelters and it seems to continue to cause controversy as various housing development propositions crop up and compromises are proposed. In total there are 15 concrete Cortain shelters (semi-sunken similar to Stanton shelters) and one brick surface shelter.

courtaulds.JPG

The factory in 1929

The Explore

Was just a brief evening's exploration but was nice to see these after hearing about these shelters a lot in the news. They were a bit mucky inside but it just goes to show that even less interesting concrete shapes can be jazzed up with a bit of creative lighting. Quite a few nice original features left on one including a male and female toilet door, but others were full of crap presumably having been used as storage. It's pretty boggy and overgrown around the shelters so it took a while to navigate in the dark and I'm sure I couldn't see anywhere near as many as sixteen. There was also a rectangular building which is the surface shelter. Before you ask no I didn't photograph them all and I edited even fewer photos.

Heritage at Risk | Halstead 21st Century Group

HalsteadShelters (1 of 10).jpg

HalsteadShelters (2 of 10).jpg

HalsteadShelters (3 of 10).jpg

HalsteadShelters (4 of 10).jpg

HalsteadShelters (5 of 10).jpg

HalsteadShelters (6 of 10).jpg

HalsteadShelters (7 of 10).jpg

HalsteadShelters (9 of 10).jpg

HalsteadShelters (10 of 10).jpg

HalsteadShelters (8 of 10).jpg

Wastelandr

Regular User
Just thought perhaps this is best moved to Industrial Sites given that whilst it's wartime its not military per se.

jess_tom04

28DL Member
28DL Member
i live here and didnt realise you could go in as when we looked years ago they were full of muck. have you been to the bunkers near the care home? i believe theres 2 bunkers and a house if i remember correctly..

Wastelandr

Regular User
i live here and didnt realise you could go in as when we looked years ago they were full of muck. have you been to the bunkers near the care home? i believe theres 2 bunkers and a house if i remember correctly..
Some of them are filled with junk others not, quite muddy on the whole. Not heard of those bunkers