real time web analytics
Report - - Couvre Porte Reservoir - Brompton, Chatham - July 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Couvre Porte Reservoir - Brompton, Chatham - July 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Fin9ers

28DL Member
28DL Member
Couvre Porte Reservoir, Brompton​

This was only my second day of being back on the scene, and I was finding all kinds of sites that I had never heard of before. And Iv'e lived in Medway for almost 25 years!
I stumbled on this huge reservoir while checking out the Brompton area of Chatham with a friend. But had to leave soon after we arrived due to my friend suffering a huge bout of vertigo :(
I'm fairly pleased with the few pictures I got, but my SLR isnt with me right now. So I only had iPod to take pictures with.
I plan to return soon once I get my SLR back in action, and get alot more pictures at a much better quality.

History

I couldn't dig alot up on this site. But construction of these two concrete leviathan took place sometime between 1897 and 1903 to provide water to Chatham Dockyard. They were emptied and closed in the 80's. My dad has told me stories when he used fish for large perch there and I have also found a newspaper extract about a child that drowned in the reservoir:

Monday, March 17, 1969

Robert Palmer, aged 5 of King's Bastion, Brompton, Gillingham, was drowned yesterday when he fell into a disused reservor. A friend, Christopher Morgan, aged 5 of Singapore Drive, Brompton, who also fell in, was rescued by an army Corporal.

Chilling stuff...

Now for pictures:

We'll start with a map I dug up online of the reservoir from 1943. The blue represents the path the water was guided on its way to the dockyard:

CouvrePorteReservoirMap1.jpg

Next we have one of the southern side of the larger reservoir:

rsz_chatham-fort_amherst-tunnel-explore_126.jpg

This one is of the eastern side:

rsz_chatham-fort_amherst-tunnel-explore_125.jpg

And the northern side:

rsz_chatham-fort_amherst-tunnel-explore_124.jpg

This one is the smaller of the two reservoirs, taken facing north:

rsz_chatham-fort_amherst-tunnel-explore_127.jpg

The barrier separating the two reservoirs:

rsz_chatham-fort_amherst-tunnel-explore_128.jpg

rsz_chatham-fort_amherst-tunnel-explore_129.jpg

And finally, a rather nice panoramic of the whole reservoir, facing south:

rsz_chatham-fort_amherst-tunnel-explore_130.jpg

And a link to a higher resolution panorama: http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad141/Fin9ers/UEBABY/Couvre%20Porte%20Reservoir/rsz_chatham-fort_amherst-tunnel-explore_130.jpg

My apologies for the image quality, iPod is not good for taking pictures. I will update as soon as I have new and better pictures

Last edited:

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
Nice pics me and my partner went there today but it looks like the fences have been recently replaced so we couldn't get in. Gona go back for another look soon though

Seffy

Staff member
Nice pics me and my partner went there today but it looks like the fences have been recently replaced so we couldn't get in. Gona go back for another look soon though

Exploring does't count as daily exercise sadly :p

Albietherinamo

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi the fences have been there for a good while but if you still looking to get in there is still a way just keep following the fence and you'll see it