real time web analytics
Report - - Cowdale Limeworks - Buxton - August 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cowdale Limeworks - Buxton - August 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lamp

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

The Carboniferous Limestone beds around Buxton have been subjected to widespread extraction and processing since post-medieval times. In the mid-C18 production was industrialised, a process which was aided, in the Wye Gorge, by the building of the Midland Railway line in the 1860s. The earliest recorded workings at Cowdale were in 1870 when, it is understood, the kilns were built, although there is some debate as to whether they were built later in the C19. The quarry did not appear on Ordnance Survey (OS) maps until the early-C20, and a railway link to the quarry first appears on the 1924 OS map, but the industrial complex had been enlarged and extended around the railway by 1909 by Buxton Lime Firms. The Power House, gate houses, entrance buildings and subsidiary structures were added to the site at this time, positioned on graduated terraces cut into the rock face. The quarry finally closed in 1954 when it was understood to be the last site to use traditional, coal-fired shaft kilns in Derbyshire. The particularly pure limestone in the vicinity of Buxton makes quarrying an important industry still.

The site was first scheduled in October 2011.

Explore

This was a fun one to explore, completely missed the entrance and ended up in Cowdale along one of the steepest roads I’ve been on, in the rain. If you’re going down make sure you know where to go before setting off, could’ve saved 30 mins of trekking around a sketchy road in the rain.
IMG_7356.jpg

IMG_7346.jpg

IMG_7351.jpg

IMG_7355.jpg

IMG_7359.jpg

IMG_7362.jpg

IMG_7363.jpg

IMG_7367.jpg

IMG_7368.jpg

IMG_7371.jpg

IMG_7373.jpg

IMG_7374.jpg

IMG_7378.jpg

IMG_7384.jpg

IMG_7390.jpg

The structures in the woods are like something out of starwars with the trees taking back over the abandoned structures. The site is smaller than I thought it was and it was a fairly long drive to get there. From looking at over peoples reports I think I’ve missed some of the site, just a good excuse to go back there soon. Overall it’s definitely worth a trip and I can recommend it.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report. Something quite surreal about the kilns when you approach them. Oh you can park virtually next to it :oops :)

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great shots, I really like this place - I went down that very same road and I think I know the one you mean, it has the sharpest downhill bend you'll ever experience I think :lol

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Picture 13 is now an owl sanctuary, lovely area once pretty much in my back yard but now I've moved down south I miss my old haunts. Went to a great rave here back in the day.
Some great shots can be had from up top if its drill accessible.

If you do go visit again you're not too far from the millersdale ones which have a bit more to look at including old rail trucks on top. The rest of the monsal trail has some other nice features to find as well.