real time web analytics
Report - - Cowdale Quarry and Lime Works, Buxton, June 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cowdale Quarry and Lime Works, Buxton, June 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

SuspiciousFox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

The town of Buxton sits on the edge of a plateau of limestone, and ever since the ancient times has been dug up and used for multiple purposes, such as in construction and agriculture. Limestone remains a useful resource to this day and is used in multiple industries, including in textiles, glass manufacturing as well as in pharmaceuticals, some food products and even toothpaste.

The land around Buxton has been shaped by the industrial revolution and the increase in the demand of a byproduct of limestone, quicklime, in the production of steel and for use in other chemicals. If you look around the area you will find the remains of many mines and hills carved away by quarries over the ages. Buxton was very much founded on the back of this industry, from its people moving to the area to work the land, to the very mortar and stone that its buildings were built with. Although the extraction of limestone remains an important part of Buxton, most quarries and mines have since closed as demand decreased and other sources of limestone were found for cheaper prices.

One such Quarry was Cowdale Quarry. It is located on the top of the valley just east of Buxton over looking the river Wye. On the side of the valley to its north is Cowdale Lime works, which was built to process the excavated limestone to quicklime and be transported to steel and chemical plants via the railway that ran past it through the valley. More history about this site can be found in previous reports (https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/cowdale-lime-works-buxton-derbyshire-september-2014.123756/)

Today many of the structures remain, with exception of the main power house which was demolished before the site could be scheduled (a way of protecting historic buildings/sites) by English Heritage. The building were built of cast concrete in an Egyptian Revival style.

During the late 1800’s and through to the 1930’s there was a fascination for ancient Egypt set off by the conquests of Napoleon into Egypt and the publication of his findings into several volumes, which became the inspiration for architects at the time. Ever wondered why there are random obelisks (stone pillars) around the UK, or why 1920’s era cinemas look the way they do? Well now you know.

It’s kilns, built into the side of the rock, and could produce around 30-50 tons of quicklime per day by using coal to burn the limestone at 900°C. To deal with the shear weight of all that rock the kilns were reenforced with beautiful buttresses. At the base of each kiln is a small tunnel which allowed workers access to the eyes of the kiln (the rusted bin looking things) where the quicklime would collect and it would be shovelled into carts and loaded onto trains.

The explore

It was a pretty humid explore, but pretty relaxed once I was out of site of the workers in the neighbouring quarry that is still active. A lot of the site is overgrown and multiple trees have fallen on the paths, also I somehow managed to lose my footing and slide down a hill on my butt haha.

Overall it was a very enjoyable explore, and trying to find the next building in all of the foliage lead to the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere, even through the A6 was just 100 metres down the hill.

Enjoy the pictures :)

Okyp4VGVh24Npm2FnoVzohNk=w2338-h1558-no?authuser=0.jpg

yEagD9OyEM6tq0wxMgnklEgo=w1040-h1558-no?authuser=0.jpg

j2LGqXI8tIE1J7P4T7k6w6s4=w1040-h1558-no?authuser=0.jpg

9O9zrAZUglyllYySxIBqXPdk=w1040-h1558-no?authuser=0.jpg

mcFDHLzNliGS9aSwVJHaJhYY=w1040-h1558-no?authuser=0.jpg

eYIArK7w62gOvxg477QuHok0=w2338-h1558-no?authuser=0.jpg

XzK6Ea7Bq9p3Nb3aEUOVZYTY=w1040-h1558-no?authuser=0.jpg

Eb-f2oD3ZpOvNh6YCaUJ-WXY=w1040-h1558-no?authuser=0.jpg

g2b33TQ13IhhDm18l_OqZPng=w1040-h1558-no?authuser=0.jpg

N0kuXLCXXJV2j7hEgKwK3Whs=w1040-h1558-no?authuser=0.jpg

X6XcszEEoFjmCwMd_Ef2uLjo=w2338-h1558-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice report. I like explores like this; feeling like I'm in the middle of nowhere, with buildings to find.:thumb

SuspiciousFox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report. I like explores like this; feeling like I'm in the middle of nowhere, with buildings to find.:thumb

Thank you :)

Yes, there is something magical about exploring a site where nature has taken back control. Reminds me of my trip exploring Chernobyl, it was a harrowing yet awe-inspiring time, seeing a whole city being reclaimed by trees and nature.

Lord Rochester's Monkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great pics. When I was a kid my grandad, who worked here in the distant past, used to take me round here. A cracking industrial monument. Always loved these ruins.

SuspiciousFox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pics. Tekonta Secta really get about don't they (4th picture)

What better place to do some graffiti undisturbed haha. A very striking, aesthetic place as well

A nice set of snaps you've got there

Thank you :)

Great pics. When I was a kid my grandad, who worked here in the distant past, used to take me round here. A cracking industrial monument. Always loved these ruins.

That is so cool! It's a shame it didn't get made into a heritage site for more people to visit. Have you been back since?

Nice set. I really liked this place

Thank you :) It is a really great place, hope to go back one day

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah definitely go back. We went twice and more to see up top above the hopper section and the old bridge near the former quarry.

Lord Rochester's Monkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very tempted, though I believe the access situation is very much less chilled than it used to be. Last time I went was probably about 1999, so a return is overdue. Somewhere I've got a video of grandad on a walk round the Harpur Hill quarries and talking about the Hoffman Kiln there that he worked in, might go through some of the old papers my dad has and see if there's anything similar about Cowdale.

Who has read this thread (Total: 169) View details