real time web analytics
Report - - Cowdale Lime Works, Derbyshire - November 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cowdale Lime Works, Derbyshire - November 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
Another one from my Peak District exploring trip a few months back. Unfortunately, as I was short on time I only did the main Lime Kiln structure and the gatehouse/auxiliary buildings at the beginning of the track. There is a fair bit more to this site which can be seen in various other reports, but here’s my take on the bits I did manage to visit and photograph.

History & Information
From the 17th Century to the present, the Peak District, in particular the Buxton area, is the home of the UK’s most momentous lime and limestone production sites. Cowdale was one of many industrial sites in the area quarrying lime. Some sites are still active today locally, with the most significant one being the Tunstead Superquarry, which is now operated by Tarmac.

Although the earliest recorded workings at the site date back to 1870, some sources point to the construction of the Kilns being constructed several years after this. The site appeared on OS maps in the early 20th Century with a rail-link present on the 1924 OS map.

The map below details Buxton’s past and present limestone quarries and freight railways which linked the sites together:

cowdale.jpg

Image Citation: Douglal - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, File:Map of Buxton's Limestone Quarries.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

In 1909, the quarry expanded with the addition of the neo-Egyptian style gate houses, entrance buildings along with a powerhouse that has since been demolished. The main kilns were built in the rock face and were able to produce up to 50 tons of quicklime daily.

The quarry continued operating until 1954. The closure was quite significant as it was said to be the last site to use traditional, coal-fired shaft kilns in the area. Just over a decade ago, the site became a Scheduled Monument so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon!

The Explore
The visit was very relaxed, there is a layby nearby for parking and I spent around an hour or so on-site taking photos, however as mentioned above I was short on time and only did the main bits. It can be a bit muddy and slippery depending on the time of year, so just bear that in mind if you plan to visit!

Onto the photos...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

IMG_4720-HDR.jpg

10.jpg

13.jpg

Thanks for looking.

7eventhWanderer

28DL Member
28DL Member
Introduction
Another one from my Peak District exploring trip a few months back. Unfortunately, as I was short on time I only did the main Lime Kiln structure and the gatehouse/auxiliary buildings at the beginning of the track. There is a fair bit more to this site which can be seen in various other reports, but here’s my take on the bits I did manage to visit and photograph.

History & Information
From the 17th Century to the present, the Peak District, in particular the Buxton area, is the home of the UK’s most momentous lime and limestone production sites. Cowdale was one of many industrial sites in the area quarrying lime. Some sites are still active today locally, with the most significant one being the Tunstead Superquarry, which is now operated by Tarmac.

Although the earliest recorded workings at the site date back to 1870, some sources point to the construction of the Kilns being constructed several years after this. The site appeared on OS maps in the early 20th Century with a rail-link present on the 1924 OS map.

The map below details Buxton’s past and present limestone quarries and freight railways which linked the sites together:

cowdale.jpg

Image Citation: Douglal - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, File:Map of Buxton's Limestone Quarries.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

In 1909, the quarry expanded with the addition of the neo-Egyptian style gate houses, entrance buildings along with a powerhouse that has since been demolished. The main kilns were built in the rock face and were able to produce up to 50 tons of quicklime daily.

The quarry continued operating until 1954. The closure was quite significant as it was said to be the last site to use traditional, coal-fired shaft kilns in the area. Just over a decade ago, the site became a Scheduled Monument so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon!

The Explore
The visit was very relaxed, there is a layby nearby for parking and I spent around an hour or so on-site taking photos, however as mentioned above I was short on time and only did the main bits. It can be a bit muddy and slippery depending on the time of year, so just bear that in mind if you plan to visit!

Onto the photos...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

IMG_4720-HDR.jpg

Yeah very cool! iv'e been to alot of those places around Buxton. There is another two lime kilms at Millers Dale near Wormhill. The interesting thing about the ones at Millers Dale is that they are on the side of a cliff and so the old railway next to the kilms have giant extra support beams digging into the cliff; holding up the entire building. Sadly the train station at millers dale was shut in the 60's but you can still go there.

image_9060.jpg

image_9061.jpg

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely done, I was also short on time on my visit here, I managed about as much as you did 😂 definitely on the revisit list!

Who has read this thread (Total: 181) View details