real time web analytics
Report - - Crewe Corporation Public Swimming Baths, Cheshire - October 2022 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crewe Corporation Public Swimming Baths, Cheshire - October 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Crewe Corporation Public Swimming Baths

crewe.JPG

Crewe Corporation Public Swimming Baths (often referred to as Flag Lane Baths) was opened in 1937 at a cost of £34,090 and replaced an older bath house which had served the town since 1866. The baths were formally opened on 6th November by the Mayor Frank Bott and such was the local excitement on the day the road was closed and police had to control the eager crowds!

The baths eventually closed in 2016, replaced by some awful looking ‘lifestyle centre’ in another other part of town.

01 (1).jpg

01 (2).jpg

01 (3).jpg

01 (11).jpg

01 (10).jpg

Nice largely unmodernised foyer

01 (4).jpg

Changing cubicles, lockers, showers

01 (6).jpg

01 (5).jpg

Up on the balcony

01 (9).jpg

01 (8).jpg

Few from the lower levels, original belt driven laundry equipment still in situ and filter tanks, etc

01 (13).jpg

01 (14).jpg

01 (15).jpg

01 (12).jpg

Recently the council have approved plans to convert the baths into a ‘community hub’ by way of a crowdfunding campaign set up by charitable group Always Ahead, which is good to hear as demolition was on the cards for quite some time if I remember correctly.​

jtza

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Been a good while since I’ve seen that and I would it expect it to be worse but it’s surviving well

harryjt

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really nice report and photographs, thinking of visiting myself, was it alarmed?

Who has read this thread (Total: 276) View details