real time web analytics
Report - - Croal Culverts, Bolton - May 2017 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Croal Culverts, Bolton - May 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Snake Oil

go in drains
28DL Full Member
Croal Culverts, Bolton

Explored with @Darryl Kinney

The sun was shining and the temperatures were soaring, this is drain weather so it would be rude not to have another look down my local(ish) 'big drain' one night after work.

The river Croal runs through the town centre of Bolton in a mixture of open channels and underground culverts. The culverts are a mix of new and old, with concrete pre cast from the outfall, the only really decent feature in this section is a small waterfall. Past the fall it opens out to a short but very photogenic brick arch.

Once through this and past an open section we reach the older culvert, the first bit spraycreted before returning to brick and stonework. It was here we bumped into half a dozen kids with two pound shop torches between them. After the initial shock from them finding us the first thing they asked was "Do you do YouTube?"... No, we don't! Apparently someone had told them there was an abandoned pub down there and did we know where it is - good luck finding that one!

The final section returns to a concrete box for a short distance before the brick makes a final appearance with several bridges just inside the culvert infall.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Good stuff and also nice to see some daylight shots :thumb

You deffo did miss a trick with pics 9 & 13 though ;)

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
If that means what I think it means, we did one of them (CLANNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!) but didn't bother with the other (you've seen my climbing "skills" :D )

haha I remember Stepping Lightly making light work of a proper hard climb and we rigged a ladder from some old tat dragged out of the river, I have a pic somewhere in the archives ;)

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
It's a nice mooch down the Croal. It looks quite tranquil and pleasant in your photos on a calm sunny day!

@pastybarm. I think there is a limit to how clean the river gets when you look at how many CSO's it has the pleasure of receiving discharge from. Must be better than it was before the UID scheme was completed mind.

Reactions: EOA

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No doubt. Has anyone got a pic of the new rcp with the measuring thingy near the big tank on water street? I did notice they have built a shiny metal bridge across near there, either the EA or UU?