real time web analytics
Report - - Croesor and Rhosydd, CRTT - November 2013. | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Croesor and Rhosydd, CRTT - November 2013.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Telf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The first thing I've got to say is... a MASSIVE thanks to Bigjobs, Shocktactics, Ojay and Rigsby for their expertise, patience, and durability making sure all the group got though safely and without injury.

Also a MASSIVE thanks and apologies to the cave and mountain rescue and others involved who were well on their way to us to offer help, The reason for this was we were a bit behind schedule and alarms had been raised as we'd not made contact with the outside.

Lastly a BIG thanks to the kwan for his part in the organizing of the event :thumb

Visited with big jobs, the kwan, shocktactics, hills, seffy, wdw, ojay, wellingtonian, maniac, ollie bear, sam, fazzy_uk, and rigsby, it was great to see you all and thank you.

I must point out We all had experience with mines and the underground, We all had harnesses, hard hats, many torches, suitable footwear and clothing, and food and water.
Also to share between the group We had buoyancy aids and a dinghy for the submerged parts, and enough climbing and absayling equipment to get up canary wharf and back.

Croesor and Rhosydd are located deep within Moelwyn Mawr mountain in North Wales, They quarried slate for about 100 years up until the 1930’s.
Rhosydd was the largest of the two arranged over 14 floors. After production ceased Croesor was used as a explosives store up until the 1970's
Both mines are in very bad condition with collapsed and flooded chambers.

Some pics from up top..

A few of us camped over the night before.
a944e130-9d5d-4d01-9f07-149cce3840cb_zps48012f5b.gif

The view from the car park up to the mine. I'd say about 1 mile in total.
View attachment 568672

The kwan.
View attachment 568674

The remains of where a water wheel once was.
View attachment 568675

View attachment 568677

Our porthole to 14 hours underground.
View attachment 568678

The first decline, big jobs was close at hand.
View attachment 568680

View attachment 568682

The kwan on the zip line, quite hard to get a good shot without long exposure.
View attachment 568683

Shocktactics.
View attachment 568685

Yes..
View attachment 568687

One of two.
View attachment 568689

To get in to ze boat we roped it down 8 metres.
View attachment 568691

Due to the the media report on the cave and mountain rescue I thought it is best to put this report in non public for now.

Thanks Telf..

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Props to the team leaders on this, massive effort and accomplishment by all involved as well.

Yeah so things went down, but not at the teams request.

FaZy_UK

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It was a damn good trip, I'd also like to say a big thanks again to all involved.

May not have gone to plan, but lessons learned (I have personally learned to shut my f*cking mouth and not get involved next time anything bad is said online) :P

Telf - Do you mind if I steal one of the abseiling shots?

Cheers for posting!

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
We had the best time ever on this trip and despite our back up safety call being made due to our late arrival back at the carpark, all ended well in the end and we did it all by the book, so remember kids, always let someone know were you are going and when you expect to be out safely....better safe than sorry everytime.

We expressed our gratitude to the services who stood by in case a rescue was actually needed by way of a whip round that raised a decent amount of wodge that was presented to them by Bigjobs.
Thanks to the expertise of the rescue services, they had calculated our ETA, and decided that our safety shout time was perhaps a bit ambitious, so a thankyou to them and to morrisey who stayed up until past midnight waiting for us to get in touch.
A bit o video.

Telf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for comments guys, I wish I could have taken more pics on this one tbh.
Quality video Kwan :thumb

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
At the end of the day it was a well planned/executed trip, there were some issues with the arranged call out but hey, shit happens

It was an intense trip for some I'm sure, and I'm almost certain the people who signed up thoroughly enjoyed it and despite the conditions on the way back down were no doubt grinning from ear to ear

We need to organise another one of these soon and give more people a chance to experience a proper decent through trip

When all said and done props to @Bigjobs for arranging it all, here's to the next one :thumb

wellingtonian

Subterráneo
Regular User
At the end of the day it was a well planned/executed trip, there were some issues with the arranged call out but hey, shit happens

It was an intense trip for some I'm sure, and I'm almost certain the people who signed up thoroughly enjoyed it and despite the conditions on the way back down were no doubt grinning from ear to ear

We need to organise another one of these soon and give more people a chance to experience a proper decent through trip

When all said and done props to @Bigjobs for arranging it all, here's to the next one :thumb

Yep

Intense, yep

Fuck yep

Also yourself @Ojay, along with @rigsby and @Shocktictacs

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good times, I can honestly say that here on 28, you can get involved and meet good people and not Get your melon twisted by gear or equipment snobs or browbeaten by tossers hell bent on one upmanship (well the last bit is almost true :D) anyway, top and bottom of it is that here on 28, there is always something going on to get involved with and there are always good people here who encourage others and this crtt trip is a fine example.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
^ Wise words, sadly there will always be the browbeating lot on here and the people who defect believing they are bigger than the internet :p

Be nice if some of these people started to piss into the pot again occasionally :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 198) View details