real time web analytics
Report - - Croesor-Rhosydd Through Trip - April 2011. | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Croesor-Rhosydd Through Trip - April 2011.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Croesor-Rhosydd Through Trip

Shouts to Stepping Lightly for making this happen - The place is truly epic and after abbin'g a couple of pitches, traversing some "death on a stick" bridges, zipping wireZ and crazy SRT, not to mention the final crossing on HMS Titanic, (the canadian kayak needs repairing) as we travelled across one by one half sunk :D

Croesor Quarry is a large underground slate mine in North Wales which was served by Croesor Tramway.

It has a single adit in the hillside and ceased operation after a hundred years in 1930 having produced 11,000 tonnes of finished slate annually at its peak

Initially worked from 1846 until 1878. From 1864 onwards, the quarry was connected to the slate wharves at Porthmadog by an incline to the head of the Croesor Tramway.

After a hiatus, it re-opened in 1895 and continued in production until 1930

Croesor Quarry is connected to the nearby Rhosydd Quarry by a tunnel that was built to aid surveying and settle boundary disputes

In spite of a series of collapses, the Croesor to Rhosydd through trip is still possible and has long been considered a classic trip for mine explorers

Fixed ropes, home-made suspension bridges, zip wires, and inflatable boats have been installed which make it possible to complete the journey in comfort although not necessarily in safety
:eek:

I loved every minute and is fair to say one of my most memorable explores ever!! No doubt a return trip at some point...

First major obstacle - 80ft pitch

1.jpg

Next up - Bridge Crossing

2.jpg

3.jpg

Zip wireZ

4.jpg

5.jpg

Then we had to kayak across deep water in a half sunk boat :D

6.jpg

Bridge of death crossing

7.jpg