real time web analytics
Report - - Crumpwood weir, Churnet Valley, May 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crumpwood weir, Churnet Valley, May 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I have rode past this place for years and it always looked intriguing but it was that overgrown there was no way in to be found. However in 2019 JCB part funded a project to install a "fish pass" to allow fish to cross the weir, this project also included the renovation of the pumping station. With no water in the sluices and all the mud cleared there was finally a way in

Some info on the fish pass and renovation

The work, which involved opening up the previously sealed off channel to the pump house, will help Atlantic Salmon and Brown Trout populate a further seven kilometres of the River Churnet.

Around 240 tonnes of soil and silt was cleared from around the pump house, one of the original pump house turbines removed and cleaned for display and the old oak sluice gates were refurbished. This means the building is beginning to come back into use, while helping to secure the future of salmon in this country.

Crumpwood weir, originally built between 1807 and 1811 was part of the Froghall to Uttoxeter Canal and later used for public water supply. Today it forms an important historic feature in the Churnet Valley’s landscape. But, while it is very pretty to look at, the 2.7 metre difference in the height of the water means it is an impossible barrier for fish and wildlife to pass.

The history.

Excuse the last two photos. These are the only pictures I have from when it was overgrown and were taken back in about 2016 on the scabby old phone I used to chuck in my pocket when riding.

In we go, up the impeller shaft...

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Great report, thanks and a dream way of getting in a pumping station. None of that squeezing past in the one's I'm 'used' to. Yer get a crusty rag ridden ladder usually followed by a seized grille trapdoor

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks all. It's a nice picturesque little place rather than your standard dark gloomy pumping station. Looks like a squirt of WD40 and it would run again

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice this. The old shaft & pumps are cool. But I also like the old tiles and design. And what a great history, re population. Very nice