real time web analytics
Report - - Cumberland Field Pump & Windmill, Nottinghamshire : November 2023 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cumberland Field Pump & Windmill, Nottinghamshire : November 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cumberland Field Pump House

A ruined little one this! From a trip to the heart of England, this was a pleasant surprise. A mighty trek to get to though. We had to walk through some of the thickest mud I've ever come across, luckily we both had wellies, but the mud was like tar, it stuck to the boots, making them feel incredibly heavy like they were made of concrete. They did get a wash off though when we had to walk through a fast flowing river just before the station.

This was found while browsing older OS maps. It is featured all the way back on OS Six Inch 1888 - 1913. On this map, it mentions a wind pump and hydraulic ram in situ. The wind pump remains to this day, although in poor condition. Dan braved the ladder and went for a view up top. I got halfway up, noticed the ladder was all corroded and not even attached to the wind pump any more, so bottled it.

At some point, a shed was constructed and a Lister D stationary engine was installed. This particular engine produces 1.5hp at 700rpm. It's quite an old engine, potentially mid 40s, early 50s. The engine is attached to a lovely Climax #2 water pump driven by a belt. There were also lots of period artefacts lying around, including a beautiful Lister wooden box. I was very tempted to 'rehome' it, but it was in poor condition and probably wouldn't have made the journey back. The shed has now collapsed, leaving the equipment open to the elements. Despite this, it seems to be in great condition.

Capture12.PNG

IMG_2813.jpg

The Climax #2 Pump

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

Pump and engine still connected via the belt. I'm surprised it's lasted due to being exposed to the elements.

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2848.jpg

Lovely old Lister box.

IMG_2841.jpg

Some detail shots to finish

IMG_2850.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2825.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That’s a lovely one even with the shed collapsed. Least the machinery is intact and can be seen clearly. Love that lister box.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lovely pics and some great angles. You were nearly at the top of the ladder anyway so may aswell have gone right to the top haha. Yeah, the Lister box was great but shame it was in poor condition. A very nice find this but the walk wasn't great was it...

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great examples and not in bad nick considering the shed collapsed. I like the detailed shots. :thumb

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lovely pics and some great angles. You were nearly at the top of the ladder anyway so may aswell have gone right to the top haha. Yeah, the Lister box was great but shame it was in poor condition. A very nice find this but the walk wasn't great was it...
I know, but I saw the state of the ladder once I'd got to that point! Oh well. That walk was awful. I've never had my boots feel so heavy ahaha