real time web analytics
Report - - Grimsthorpe Engine House & Cumberland Field Wind Pump, Lincolnshire - November 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Grimsthorpe Engine House & Cumberland Field Wind Pump, Lincolnshire - November 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
Me and @JakeV50 headed out to Lincolnshire & Nottinghamshire to look at some more pump houses. Unfortunately, the day was full of disappointments once again but we did come across a couple of nice surprises. This report covers an Engine House which I found on old OS maps, and a pump house/wind pump set up which Jake found and covered in his report back in December last year.

Grimsthorpe Engine House
Q5__9UrGEV_QKorxksogmVnSGwJBWz9y_wQ6niaRERpQYCkL_4.png

The engine house is situated to the south of Bishopshall Wood between the villages of Swinstead and Grimsthorpe. The structure is situated in a small pocket of woodland near a stream which appears to run towards a large water body near to Grimsthorpe Castle.

The structure itself is primarily constructed of brick and stone, with a slate roof which is in poor condition. The Engine House is split into two sections, one section is used as a large sump or well which I believe captured water from a natural spring, this then fed a pump located in the other section. This would’ve been powered by a small stationary engine, most likely something like a Lister Diesel unit. The water was pumped from here to a reservoir to the west of Grimsthorpe castle. The purpose of the engine house, according to the borehole record, was to serve the village of Grimsthorpe. At the time of the borehole survey in 1951, the well & pump was capable of delivering around 62,000 gallons of water to the village per day.

There is no other information online regarding this particular setup, I would imagine this was built in the early 1900s and was in operation until around the mid-20th Century as this was around the time when mains water arrived in many of these rural parts.

The explore was easy enough, we parked up in the village of Swinstead and veered off a public footpath across some fields towards the engine house. Took a few shots, got muddy, got a hole in my trousers, then headed off to the next one.

It was hard to get any decent externals here because of the trees:

1.jpg

2.jpg

The well/sump section of the structure:

3.jpg

Heading inside the pumping section of the building, we quickly realised the engine had sadly been removed. There was only a small plinth for the engine hence my assumptions of it being just a small Lister engine or something similar.

The pump in situ looks to be a 3-cylinder reciprocating ram pump with positive displacement (thanks to @mingerocket for the info on this, I didn’t have a clue!). The pump is incomplete with missing pistons, this is likely because these were valuable as they may have contained brass or gunmetal.

4.jpg

In the picture above, you can see the small plinth the engine would’ve sat on to the right of the image.

Top-down view of the pump setup:

5.jpg

A few other angles of the pump:

6.jpg

6.1.jpg

The pulley system was nice too, and it was great to see the belt still in tact:

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Cumberland Field Pump House

8mRYCgBH2R2Iks3J31AgJp3z1KijGZJ33Fm9cLqrjjAybvTYc4.png

Appearing on the 1888 - 1913 Six Inch series OS Map, this site boasts a very old wind pump designed and built by Duke and Ockenden, and a small dilapidated shed featuring a Climax No. 2 Pump powered by a 1.5HP Lister D stationary engine. I am guessing the Climax & Lister setup replaced the original Wind Pump and the Wind Pump fell out of use long before the later setup.

This one really is in the middle of nowhere and me and Jake had to stomp across some very muddy fields, but it was worth it in the end. I even climbed the ladder up the Wind Pump, it was a bit dodgy though!

Onto the photos, starting off with the Wind Pump. I’ve never seen one of these up close so it was certainly something different!

1.jpg

2.jpg

An overview of the site:

3.jpg

The base of the Wind Pump had some old company branding. This was a Dando Wind Pump manufactured by Duke and Ockenden.

4.jpg

1710694075942.png

Moving on to its internal combustion powered replacement. Another in tact belt, always good to see:

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

The air ballast for the Climax No. 2 pump

9.jpg

Whilst on the subject of Climax pumps, it is a similar set-up to the one at Booter’s Hall in Norfolk which I covered last year. Climax pumps were manufactured by Thomas & Son Ltd. which were based in Worcester. Funnily enough they manufactured old Windmills too.

kEkH9ikyOIOQhtbap598bBYsaVPXh2uL3Q4VBIJPz8T7Q_2jbk.png

A few detail shots to conclude:

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Thanks for looking!

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Forgot about that first building. That was a shame, would have been fantastic if the engine was still inside.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Top finds, keep it up. 👍
Cheers mate, the information from you is always appreciated too.

Forgot about that first building. That was a shame, would have been fantastic if the engine was still inside.
Yeah it would've been great with the engine inside, but even so it was quite nice.

Don't know how you're complaining mate I would just about piss myself with excitement if I found either on them
Haha I am mainly complaining due to the fact we checked out about 8 to 10 potential pump houses that day wasting £50+ worth of fuel and these two were the only notable ones.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
A nice duo of pumps there even if there were some disappointments. Still a fair bit of equipment left in place. Love that wind pump, the RPSB put a load of these in at a few local nature reserves near me and the the marshes started looking like the Deep South or something which was pretty cool. I suppose a lot of low-lying coastal areas of the country had a bit of a Wild West feel to them 100 years ago. Also, that Lister box is cool, just shows you what's been left lying around.

I was going to stop with the pump jokes but this is just too fitting ffs - "The pump people reach a 'Climax'"

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Lovely photos in a tight space on first one. The second is also a great find. Love you two and your little gem finds. 👊

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A nice selection of stuff to see here. That old wind pump is lovely.
Cheers mate, I love the wind pump, you don't see many of that type around nowadays!

A nice duo of pumps there even if there were some disappointments. Still a fair bit of equipment left in place. Love that wind pump, the RPSB put a load of these in at a few local nature reserves near me and the the marshes started looking like the Deep South or something which was pretty cool. I suppose a lot of low-lying coastal areas of the country had a bit of a Wild West feel to them 100 years ago. Also, that Lister box is cool, just shows you what's been left lying around.

I was going to stop with the pump jokes but this is just too fitting ffs - "The pump people reach a 'Climax'"
Cheers mate, yeah they do give off a wild west vibe! Hahaha I won't blame you for the jokes, ill blame @The Young One for starting the trend :rofl

Lovely photos in a tight space on first one. The second is also a great find. Love you two and your little gem finds. 👊
Thanks Jane! Yeah there usually isn't much room for maneuver in these places, and setting up the tripod can always be a pain aswell. Ill try to keep finding them