real time web analytics
Report - - Cwm Coke, Beddau, South Wales, March/August 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cwm Coke, Beddau, South Wales, March/August 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Repost
Photo Heavy

This has been done to death on here, so I'll keep the history brief. Was very surprised how much is still remaining here considering how far the demolition work has progressed, still an amazing site for a mooch :thumb

The history -

A colliery was first opened in Beddau in 1909 by the Great Western Colliery Company, with 2 shafts, Mildred and Margaret being sunk. Coal was first extracted in 1914, and the colliery remained active until 1986, when it was closed, leaving an estimated 80m tons in coal reserves underground.

The site underwent a massive £9m modernisation scheme between 1952-60, which included the construction of the coking plant in 1958. Cwm Coke was sold to a private venture in 1986 when the colliery closed. The coking plant was fed by Cwm Colliery until 1986, and 3 others from the nearby area via road and rail, until it's eventual closure in 2002.

The explore -

Explored twice, due to encountering workmen of some description, having only explored one building on the first attempt, so we had to scarper. Second attempt was a rather wet, but relaxed affair, not a soul in sight. We didn't encounter any of the Secca mentioned in previous reports. Couldn't find his portacabin either, so I'm assuming they've packed up shop and left. :hmm

Access is simple , although we ended up having to go a different way after encountering the bridge guardian, as we weren't willing to face him in battle.

Most of the remaining buildings are accessible, but with all the stairs and ladders chopped, getting up to higher levels is difficult, couldn't do the central tower at all, after climbing the rubble, we decided against scrambling over the rooftop and attempting to climb the dodgy looking wall to get inside.

There's lots of little details still to be found dotted around the site, so definitely worth the journey to visit.

Bridge Guardian -
20220731_090913.JPG

Externals -

DSC00318.JPG

20220731_063116.JPG

DSC00428.JPG

My favourite part of the explore, the laboratory -
DSC00301.JPG

DSC00306.JPG

DSC00307.JPG

DSC00305.JPG

Remains of the coking ovens -
DSC00324~2.JPG

DSC00323.JPG

I do love Gauges and control panels... -
DSC00497.JPG

DSC00378.JPG

DSC00475.JPG

DSC00345.JPG

DSC00386.JPG

DSC00384.JPG

Some Workshop machinery -
DSC00427.JPG

DSC00430.JPG

Oddities -

DSC00453.JPG

DSC00462.JPG

DSC00330.JPG

DSC00470.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
One of my fave places, it is good to see what is / was still there, does anyone know if there has been any more demo since this or have they simply stopped?

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I keep meaning to go back with the drone, but haven't gotten around to it yet, so I have no idea if anything has changed since my last visit. Every time I'm nearby, the weather is shite :lol
One of my fave places, it is good to see what is / was still there, does anyone know if there has been any more demo since this or have they simply stopped?

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Loving the bridge guardian! I think secca are still on site, I also visited in August and somehow got caught pretty quickly annoyingly. Think we were unlucky as secca were doing a walk around when we were moving towards another building. He was alright though and spoke a bit about the site, then recommended us to go up a nearby hill as you can get a wicked view of the site. I'll attach a photo here.

Nice report mate. Feel like I've commented on this thread before, must've been the original post.

IMG_1783.jpg

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Loving the bridge guardian! I think secca are still on site, I also visited in August and somehow got caught pretty quickly annoyingly. Think we were unlucky as secca were doing a walk around when we were moving towards another building. He was alright though and spoke a bit about the site, then recommended us to go up a nearby hill as you can get a wicked view of the site. I'll attach a photo here.

Nice report mate. Feel like I've commented on this thread before, must've been the original post.
Blue skies, much better than my visit, definitely wasn't drone weather :lol I think somebody ID'd the bridge guardian in the original thread, I have no idea what bird it is, was awesome to see though!

Shame you were caught by Secca, predawn is the way to go! Maybe they drove there for a random patrol? Didn't see anywhere for them to chill on site. At least he was alright with you.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Blue skies, much better than my visit, definitely wasn't drone weather :lol I think somebody ID'd the bridge guardian in the original thread, I have no idea what bird it is, was awesome to see though!

Shame you were caught by Secca, predawn is the way to go! Maybe they drove there for a random patrol? Didn't see anywhere for them to chill on site. At least he was alright with you.
I was really lucky with the weather on the weekend I visited! The bridge guardian looks to be a Black Kite.

It was a shame I was caught to be fair, wanted to visit since 2017...go there five years later only to be caught after going in just one building, oh well a lot had been demolished anyway.

There are some other nice bits of old industry round South Wales, have you done much more?

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was really lucky with the weather on the weekend I visited! The bridge guardian looks to be a Black Kite.

It was a shame I was caught to be fair, wanted to visit since 2017...go there five years later only to be caught after going in just one building, oh well a lot had been demolished anyway.

There are some other nice bits of old industry round South Wales, have you done much more?
Think I've done pretty much every colliery that has any worthwhile remains left

DanMoist

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've been up the top of the central silo a few times. The view from up there is great. It's stil a fun site to look round.

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Managed to drive by without it raining for once, so here's some drone shots, only a year late...
dji_fly_20230728_095018_160_1690535444847_photo_optimized.jpg

dji_fly_20230728_095254_171_1690535430847_photo_optimized.jpg

dji_fly_20230728_095238_168_1690535434975_photo_optimized.jpg

dji_fly_20230728_095342_175_1690535426239_photo_optimized.jpg

I wonder if that ladder goes right to the bottom? -
dji_fly_20230728_095542_186_1690535413893_photo_optimized.jpg

Never realised these were here, I've never actually been to the front gate -
dji_fly_20230728_095954_212_1690534860031_photo_optimized.jpg

Last edited:

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
That tanker car which has been dragged back from the fence, that one used to provide a handy way to scale the palisade back in the day!

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
In comparison with some aerial shots I took in 2019 a hell of a lot of it has gone.
We spent hours in there and still missed loads of it.

OysterJam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks amazing! Does anyone know if any of the roofs are still accessible via ladders or general climbing? Or maybe the chimneys?

Who has read this thread (Total: 251) View details