Web
Analytics
Report - - Cwmorthin Slate Quarry - Aug 2012 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Cwmorthin Slate Quarry - Aug 2012

God

Bloody Everywhere
28DL Full Member
#1
Visited with a Non-Member

Some Information from Mine-Explorer

The mine of Cwm Orthin is situated in the valley of that name just to the west of the town called Blaenau Ffestiniog above the village of Tan y Grisiau. Cwm Orthin has substantial underground workings and it had a notorious reputation for bad working conditions so much so it was nick named 'The Slaughter House'. The mine was first opened in 1810 and was originally worked as a quarry. In 1860 it was connected to the Ffestiniog railway and then extensive underground development commenced. Chambering originally was all above the water table and material was all brought out at lake level. As progression moved downwards pumping and haulage was needed this was originally steam. There was however a serious collapse in 1884 this caused a dramatic decrease in production. In 1900 it was incorporated in Oakeley Quarry all surfaces workings and the use of the Cwm Orthin tramway were abandoned. When Cwm Orthin was taken over by Oakeley the mines were joined by the means of a new tunnel called 'level french' this joined Cwm Orthin at level E. This allowed all the drainage and power to be done through Oakeley Quarry.A big re- development project occurred around 1925 and several other buildings were built but all to no avail. Underground work however continued until the mine was closed along with Oakeley in 1970. It was worked however in the 1980's on a very small scale in one chamber; transport underground was by the use of a Land Rover. It finally closed in 1997 after some untopping work had taken place. Cwm Orthin quarry had in its day up to three mills, Lake Mill, Cross Mill and London/Lower mill.
Bumped into a few of the 28DL lads as well, good to see you! :)

Photos

IMG_0079Custom.jpg


IMG_0077Custom.jpg


IMG_0072Custom.jpg


IMG_0069Custom.jpg


IMG_0068Custom.jpg


IMG_0066Custom.jpg


IMG_0064Custom.jpg


IMG_0061Custom.jpg


IMG_0060Custom.jpg


IMG_0059Custom.jpg


IMG_0057Custom.jpg


IMG_0056Custom.jpg


IMG_0053Custom.jpg


IMG_0049Custom.jpg


IMG_0048Custom.jpg


IMG_0047Custom.jpg


IMG_0037Custom.jpg


IMG_0035Custom.jpg


IMG_0027Custom.jpg


IMG_0022Custom.jpg


IMG_0021Custom.jpg


IMG_0019Custom.jpg


IMG_0017Custom.jpg


IMG_0013Custom.jpg


Cheers for Looking! :thumb