real time web analytics
Report - - Dalton mills, july 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dalton mills, july 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
HISTORY
SetWidth300-old-dm1.jpg
NOT MY IMAGE

Dalton Mills was once the largest textile mill in the region, employing over 2000 workers. It was built by Joseph Craven in 1869, replacing the original mill which was owned by Rachel Leach in the 1780's.
The mill was named Dalton Mills after the manager employed by Rachel Leach, a man called Dalton.
In its heyday between 1869 and 1877 the mill provided jobs for workers all over Keighley and the Worth Valley.
As the textile industry declined, the fortunes of Dalton Mills changed and up until 2004, it had been virtually empty for almost a decade. John Craven, the great-great grandson of Joseph, who had built the mill, eventually chose to sell Dalton Mills, to ensure it’s survival.
Part of the renovation of the Clock Tower has included restarting the landmark clock which has not ticked for 25 years. In the mill's heyday, thousands of workers relied on the clock to get to work on time, but the hands had not moved for a quarter of a century, The clock was repaired, so it can display the time to the whole of Dalton Lane again.

REPORT[/B
So our excursion into Yorkshire saw us waiting about doing little derps but this was the main target of the day, unsure as to what to expect from a mill so big we ventured in tentatively .
We were not disappointed work has begun on drying the mill out from the roof down they have started renovating the original floors and a new roof is already in situ on one half of the mill.
its a massive site and this place took a lot longer than I was originally planning on but worth every minute I don't know what it is but I love a good mill explore (maybe its because in a northerner lol), theres some fantastic features in place here especially the lathe room with all the tools still in place bit a bit trashed by uncaring urban explorers and petty thieves :( its gutting to see just take piks nothing else ffs.
and theres plans afoot to convert into office space or luxury apartments so if you need to explore this do it now oh and you can ask permission they seem to appreciate it more anyway on with the piks

warning pik heavy sorry

.[/ATTACH] [ATTACH
CSC_1466.JPG
View attachment 7558
DSC_1658.JPG
DSC_1659.JPG
DSC_1670.JPG
DSC_1704.JPG
DSC_1712.JPG

[/ATTACH]
DSC_1533.JPG
DSC_1549.JPG
DSC_1556.JPG
DSC_1565.JPG
DSC_1583.JPG
CSC_1592.JPG
DSC_1587.JPG
DSC_1590.JPG
DSC_1604.JPG
DSC_1609.JPG
DSC_1612.JPG
DSC_1615.JPG
DSC_1635.JPG
DSC_1620.JPG
DSC_1641.JPG
DSC_1650.JPG
[A
DSC_1501.JPG
DSC_1657.JPG
DSC_1699.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1457.JPG
    DSC_1457.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 14

Telf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking report and photies, I know for a fact that there's secca on here as I often visit a company that rents out a part of the mill, and with your comments at the end of the report Should it have been a permission visit?

Cjurbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
anyone know if this place is still empty? i know its a little late but not sure if its in use or bin converted ? anyone that knows anything recent be good to know as i plan on looking at it soon cheers.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I must say as its bumped anyway. Wow what a place. Very nice, Those opening shots with the lighting is fantastic. What I find strange is an owner naming their business after a manager !!

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
anyone know if this place is still empty? i know its a little late but not sure if its in use or bin converted ? anyone that knows anything recent be good to know as i plan on looking at it soon cheers.

Shadow of its former self in December last year, since being used as a film set.