real time web analytics
Report - - Dalton Pumping Station, 09/09/07 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dalton Pumping Station, 09/09/07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Well, we were gobsmacked when we saw this place first explored by Turk and Dweeb. So, finding ourselves in the locale we decided to pay a visit.

Absolutely perfect inside and god it had better stay that way...

IMG_8621.jpg

IMG_8626.jpg

IMG_8630.jpg

IMG_8634.jpg

IMG_8637.jpg

IMG_8639.jpg

IMG_8647.jpg

xm657

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Dalton Pumping Station, 09/09/07, REPORT

It is a bit disappointing that it has been restored and then is just left to rust again, but I'm sure they will do soemthing with it eventually... a relic from the days when people were proud of the machine they built.

It hasn't been restored internally much at all.

The full story was that the building became seriously unstable in the 1930s or thereabouts, of course the beam engine uses the building to support itself so puts load and vibration through the brickwork. So it had to be abandonded in the 30s hence the look that it has just been left - the intention was probably to repair at some point but then electric pumps meant it wasn't needed.

The building was never repaired but the engine wasn't scapped either, it was just left as is for decades. Recently though the building was finally stabilized and repaired by English Heritage. Not much has happened internally but there are signs of volunteer work to preserve as far as possible.

The signs outside say building work to convert it to a restaurant is due in 3 to 4 weeks, but that sign has been like that for years!

As the engine stopped working not because it broke down or was seriously worn out, it would make a great candidate for steaming again one day assuming 70 years of idleness havn't seized it solid. I rather hope it stays as it is though as there is an almost identical pump house next to cheery knowle that has had the full restoration treatment and it looses something I think being completely restored.

Last edited: