real time web analytics
Report - - Dalton Pumping Station - Sunderland, Sept 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dalton Pumping Station - Sunderland, Sept 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
I'm sure we all prefer our explores to an adrenaline fueled buzz but occasionally when you get chance to see a place like this with permission, well i'm more than happy to take it, taking your time, no looking over your shoulder and being on edge makes a nice change, and it was nice to enjoy such a stunning building at my leisure so today only - permission ftw ;) Report to stay in NP please as the owner was far from complimentary towards 28dl :laugh

Big thanks goes to Zero81 also for the help here - cheers mate :thumb

Designed by Thomas Hawksley with the build starting in 1873, The first engine was fired up in 1878.

The engines are a pair of 72â€￾ single acting Cornish non-rotative beam engines, manufactured by Davy Brothers Limited, of Sheffield with an operating steam pressure of 30PSI.

It is thought that Dalton was the only example of Cornish engines running on superheated steam. The build was complete in 1879.

In 1937 repairs were made to damage caused by mining subsidence. 1940 Pumps recommissioned after enemy action had cut power to the station, but it was found the engines had deteriorated and pumping spears below ground level had fractured (again likely mining related).

The engines have been stationary ever since. The electric driven engine house (still in use now) was built on site that year. Since then the boilers and cold store and chimney have since been removed from the old pumping station but leaving in place the magnificent engine.

In 1997 an English heritage grant was awarded and works from that were mostly completed by 1999.

dalton23r.jpg

dalton24r.jpg

dalton25r.jpg

dalton2r.jpg
dalton3r.jpg

dalton1r.jpg

dalton22r.jpg

dalton4r.jpg

dalton7r.jpg

dalton8r.jpg
dalton18r.jpg

dalton6r.jpg