real time web analytics
Report - - Dawson Fabrics / Greenside Mill, Skelmanthorpe. May 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dawson Fabrics / Greenside Mill, Skelmanthorpe. May 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jST

LLS.
Regular User
Another factory, tucked away and almost un-noticable unless you look. Tweek had an initial poke and I joined him for a foray into this fairly secure site to try and find a way into the derelict parts, typically this was sealed up tight and we ended up in the live parts (caveat, this is Live still so be careful if you do visit)

Oh well. More knitting and weaving machines, the space that we got into was mainly filled with a large Bruckner rolling / finishing machine and lots and lots of finished cloth, both packaged and unpackaged.

The village is known by locals as ‘Shat’ (various reasons have been put forward for this nickname but the favourite appears to be that when the railway was being built labourers were required to shatter tons of rocks), like many villages in the Huddersfield area, it was first settled by Danes in the ninth century; the suffix ‘thorpe’ indicating Danish origin. The Vikings (invaders from Scandinavia) first attacked Britain in 789 AD but it was not until nearly a century later that some of these invaders began settling in the area.

It is unclear when weaving first began in Skelmanthorpe but certainly by the end of the eighteenth century a number of handloom weavers and clothiers existed in the village; indeed a number of former weavers’ cottages can still be seen in the village today. Joseph Field is one of the first recorded clothiers in the area and his family went on to own three of the village’s textile mills – Elm, Tentercroft and this one, Greenside.

Photos:

2015-06-01_0015_zpswpsm0m6i.jpg

2015-06-01_0014_zpsqmn927xr.jpg

2015-06-01_0013_zpsafl46lf5.jpg

2015-06-01_0009_zpskrqcplqy.jpg

2015-06-01_0011_zps7cbm0y58.jpg

2015-06-01_0012_zpsvnejv1vm.jpg

2015-06-01_0010_zpsede7qzgf.jpg

2015-06-01_0008_zpsgsopvwol.jpg

2015-06-01_0005_zpsarblvkng.jpg

2015-06-01_0007_zpsdbkjnvxf.jpg

2015-06-01_0004_zpsbciluyru.jpg

2015-06-01_0006_zpsekjxqs81.jpg

2015-06-01_0003_zpszyo9c5qv.jpg

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Amazing Amazing. Think I might have to get one of those big Kamsin driers one day. Not sure what for but deffo need one

Reactions: jST

Fudge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Derphouse would have a field day with those dryers, better than the slawit laundromat....

ALSO: cfti.

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Proper nice that :thumb I do like the old mills they always have funky stuff in them :D

Reactions: jST

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yes to this!

With enough decent stuff like this kicking about, why do people keep flocking to High Royds & Camelot and so forth

The mind boggles

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Hey, the potential derp drew me in. Couldn't find a way into those bits, though. That's literally the only reason I ended up in here because the front admin block and main building are so obviously disused. If i'd have known it was a live site I probably wouldn't have bothered with it. Pleased I did, I guess. Very similar story to the others in the area that jST has posted on Huddersfield's behalf.