real time web analytics
De Wendel Steel Works Offices, France Aug 2018 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

De Wendel Steel Works Offices, France Aug 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The Bureau Central was the main offices for the de Wendel Family Metal company. The Family had been involved in metal industry since the 18th Century. By the 19th Century they were the 3rd largest iron company in Franc. In 1870 they became the largest iron company after a major furnace upgrade successfully modernised their production.

During this period they employed 7000 people and were producing 112,500 tonnes of iron and 134,500 tonnes of pig iron each year.

When they expanding to steelmaking, they needed a grand main office to impress customers and keep on top of their every growing enterprise, and so in 1892 Central Bureau was built. In 1926 the Bureau Central was expanded to cope with the still growing paperwork.

The de Wendal iron enteprise continued to flourish until the post WW2 period where business fell into a decline. The mining industry was nationalised and eventually the whole family company was completely nationalised.

Bureau Central was abandoned in the 1980's after a company merger. The building itself is listed and protected.

I've wanted to see this place for ages, and it didn't disappoint.

The scale of the building is incredible, and typically flamboyant as with French architecture of the period. The most impressive portion of the building is the double height glass roof affair, which we believe was the drawing office. From that a vast corridor leads to a number of offices and an ornate foyer.
The upper floors seem to again have been offices and document storage. The top floor is lined with beautifully made shelves, and each room is partitioned off with well proportioned glazed panels. Everything here is well made, from curved woodwork in the doors, enormous brass finger plates, molded plaster and of course, decorative iron work.

I had a bit of a rummage in the loft spaces, put off slightly by the fact it was 30 odd degrees up there and my shirt was stuck to my back. I did however happen across a very rotten folder containing a selection of documents from the work's time under the control of "Reichswerke Hermann Goring" which was the company formed by the Nazis to unify the industries in their captured countries. Worth a google if you have never heard of it. Despite not being able to read German past Ich Bin Dweeb I was exited to see eagles clutching swastikas and "Heil Hitler" at the bottom of the typed letters!

There is a lot of other paperwork knocking around, some of it quite a vintage. I really wish I had tried harder in French as a lad now. So remember kids - when you sit there thinking "what the hell do I need to know French for"... So you can read the epic you pull out of it's century long hidey hole, that's why!

I have purposely left out that old typewriter and scabby chair that seems to be what most reports from this place revolve around!

We assume this was the drawing office owing to the natural light provided by the glass ceiling
DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

I loved the subtle curve in the woodwork in the door.
DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg
DSC_0121.jpg
DSC_0128.jpg

The glass ceiling is in fact the floor of the upper floor's corridor. Set with hundreds of round glass blocks.
DSC_0131.jpg
DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

The upper floor was ringed by this little loft, which had a fair bit of old tat knocking around. I did find another typewriter, but left it buried for fear of seeing that same old shot from here in 'sterio'
DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

The clock face which is in the center of the facade.
DSC_0180.jpg
DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg
DSC_0191.jpg

Iron lift with wrap around staircase, totally original and unadulterated.

The ceilings in these offices were cavernous. It must have been a hell of a job keeping all that wood polished!
DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

The main entrance foyer.
DSC_0231.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0266.jpg

The front facade is festooned with carvings of gear wheels, vices and chains. We took some decent snaps on Ojay's phone which hopefully he will add on for me.​

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one mate really nice to see such an in-depth report from here and not like you say just a type writer shot. I didn’t do this place justice at all.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yeah was good to see especially having heard others had issues around this site

Was one of the better derps we looked at for sure :thumb

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Wow that paperwork from during the war is an interesting find! Nice job with the pics too.
Looks like they have added even more razor wire next door!