real time web analytics
Report - - The ups and downs of exploring Teesside Steel - a summary of the efforts 2018 - 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The ups and downs of exploring Teesside Steel - a summary of the efforts 2018 - 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The closure of the Redcar Steelworks & Southbank Coke Works marked the end of a proud tradition of iron and steelmaking in the area. It is almost unbelievable that as I type this the very last traces of the blast furnace and associated works are being brushed away. The site has been covered fairly comprehensively by others, but I think some of the work and efforts that went in to capturing the images in this report are worthy of being shared. Big shout out to @Speed who tolerated returning on multiple occasions, we had some long nights and tired drives home... but I'm sure he would agree the fun and games we had were worth it all.

This became a bit of an obsession for me during demolition. Initial regret for not going sooner turned into deep desire to see as much as I could. I spent a lot of time learning about the history and geography of the site, which in turn made me all the more thirsty to see as much as I could.

The report covers mostly the areas around South Bank, which in modern times was the coke works that fed the Redcar site, but there were scraps of the Clevelend Steel Works dotted around the site, which had closed and been demolished decades before. These bits and bobs were much more of the vintage I enjoy, so that is where I concentrated my efforts. Speed having seen most of Redcar on his earlier visits also played a part in looking for pastures new rather than covering what he had already seen - now with considerable more risk!

Essentially my story starts with a fuck up - not going the week the closure was announced. Those that made the effort to do so were rewarded with relatively trouble free exploring unhindered by the various security measures that would follow soon after. At the time I saw no rush. We hadn't really seen anything on the scale of the steelworks demolished before, and I assumed it would be sat mothballed or semi-derelict for a very, very long time to come. I also kind of figured that as it became more derelict and got stripped of it's valuables that it might become rather easy to explore, kind of CWM coke esque.... boy, how wrong I was!!

It was probably a couple of years or more after Speed's original blast furnace climb that I managed to convince him to return back up to have another pop. I quite fancied standing at the top of the furnace, and also wanted to climb the "Dorman Long" coal hopper in the middle of the coke works. This had been done almost at the dawn of 28dl, but again wrongly assuming it would always be there it never made the top of the list. Speed had the plan laid out... over the beach, through the coal yard, into the coking battery, into the furnace. Easy!
Well... the first part was easy. We had reached the coke battery when I nearly leapt out of my skin - a whaling siren began to sound just a few yards away from us. We managed to navigate a couple of rows of herras before ducking for cover behind a low wall, just as the headlights of a Hylux came round the corner. I swear the truck couldn't have been more than a few yards away from us at one point, to the point I could hear the crackle of the gravel under the wheel as he turned the steering wheel. But he eventually turned round and drove away... phew! We hid it out for a bit and then made the dash to enter the bottom of the furnace.
Once in we began to climb, until we got to the exposed gantries near the top. We were one flight of stairs from the very top when we noticed yet more Hylux activity below. One, then another, then another, driving around the perimeter road of the furnace. Then the shouting started.... "we know you're up there" etc bellowed voices, muffled by our lofty vantage point. The prospect of 'it's a fair cop guv' wasn't terribly appealing at this point... We decided despite Speed being sure the bottom of the coal conveyor was blocked off, it was worth a try. We managed to get to the correct level by means of a very convenient central ladder rather than the exposed external steps, and incredibly gingerly crept down the conveyor to indeed meet steel sheeting. Fortune smiled and there was a small gap with some horrid drop of death below it, but a gap it was and some wriggling whilst being showered with coal and iron dust we made it through, popped out of the end and strolled back to the beach and back to the car. The Hylux were still parked flanking the furnace as we drove past... I do still wonder how long they waited for us! For the time being at least, I had my fill of Teesside!

Then about 18 months later "Teesworks" announced that the whole site would be demolished lock stock and barrel over a 12 month period. That was it then, I needed to get back up there and put some effort in... even just to see some of the place before it was gone forever.

I began by taking in some of the easier long disused buildings. I spent a long time on maps looking for subtle ways in to the site around South Bank, avoiding the well protected coke works at this stage. My first real success was the Cleveland Iron ore handling plant... which despite Dave's description being "those fucked roofless sheds" actually turned out to be a really good mooch which filled the best part of a day.

Report here covering more depth on the building:

_DSC9140.jpg

_DSC9144.jpg

_DSC9157.jpg

_DSC9161.jpg

_DSC9162.jpg

_DSC9170.jpg

_DSC9194.jpg

_DSC9226.jpg

_DSC9239.jpg

_DSC9303.jpg

After a jolly good days exploring and the OHP offering good views of the coke works I was keen to try and tick off as much as I could. The next time I returned was a flying visit on the way home from somewhere and I took advantage of the fine weather to walk "the black path" to further inspect the lie of the land.

20210417_100854.jpg

20210417_122904.jpg

I also noticed some demolition and land remediation had uncovered some of the old Clevelend Works. My dreams of long buried Dorman Long branded signage and other such forgotten goodies did not however come to fruition!

20210424_145946.jpg

20210424_145758.jpg

Adjacent to this newly exposed archeology I noticed the back end of the old loco repair workshops, and despite it's close proximity to the demolition compound managed to creep inside to find yet more rooms disused for decades. Only phone snaps as it wasn't a planned explore as such. Nothing mega, but the rooms had a nice atmosphere to them, battered by the North East winds and rain, the window glass long gone.

20210424_151412.jpg

20210424_151425.jpg

20210424_151524.jpg

20210424_151638.jpg

20210424_152041.jpg

20210424_152318.jpg

20210424_152330.jpg

The concrete perimeter fence of South Bank which I have a bit of an obsession with...

20210424_122904.jpg

And a walk on the beach with the missus, as a quick check up on the state of play with Redcar... still crawling with Hylux!

A truly iconic image of England, the fishing huts of South Gare with the furnace in the background.
DSC_0539.jpg

DSC_0550.jpg

DSC_0581.jpg

DSC_0585.jpg

Last edited:

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Another dashing visit on the way back from another trip up north, Speed Dave and I once again returned to Teeside. This time, I had my eye firmly on the Dorman Long Tower. As we waited for darkness to fall, we took in the old ore loading jetty that is on the edge of the Southbank site. After a spot of mudlarking, I was delighted to see that the riverside pump house, which once supplied cooling water to the Cleveland Works was accessible.

The jetty in it's heyday
12386052283_83b0498170_b.jpg

And today...
DSC_0479.jpg

DSC_0480.jpg

I'd have had that if I'd have been physically able!
DSC_0485.jpg

DSC_0495.jpg

Much of the pumps and related equipment was still inside, all sat semi submerged rusting away
DSC_0500.jpg

DSC_0499.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg

DSC_0509.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

By the time night fell we crept back over the rubble of Cleveland only to find a fella sat in his car, door wide open enjoying the warm summer night - about 6 foot away from the base of the Dorman Long tower! That was that for the night!

Speed and I were soon back up, Speed having an idea that the Turbo Blower House may have some kind of epic control panel in it. The plan was to get back onto South Bank by our now well worn route, look at the blower house and then try for the tower.
We actually managed to avoid the wailing sensors on the way in, up the stairs to the blower house, and found it to be rather good! Sadly, the panel Speed had an archive photo of had been butchered, but the room itself was pure 1950's, right down to the lampshades and light switches.

DSC_1240.jpg

DSC_1252.jpg

DSC_1257.jpg

DSC_1258.jpg

Sad remains of the panel, lacking it's dials and cast iron Gent's clock!
DSC_1267.jpg

DSC_1269.jpg

DSC_1275.jpg

DSC_1282.jpg

After this little win night was setting in and we retraced our steps to have a pop at the tower... Well almost retraced. Somehow we ended up setting off a siren, so dashed the way we had come in back to the rubble strewn no man's land. No sooner had we dashed for cover that the Hylux sprang into action, and were soon parked up uncomfortably close to us. It was twilight, so not yet dark enough to be able to slip away into the blackness, but it wasn't far away. So we lay, amongst the rubble and discarded tires, sat listening to squawking radios and muffled voices. The odd glance I dared to afford myself over my sliver of cover revealed they all had their backs to us, assuming that we had not made it over the road and into the rubble. We lay, perfectly still, literally being eaten alive on any small area of bare flesh by the bugs until it was sufficiently dark enough to begin creeping away. Once again fate smiled and we made a hairs breadth escape back to the car! The lack of Dorman Long tower was shrouded in the relief to not have had to deal with the army of security men and their trusty Hylux.

My only return to Redcar was again with Dave and Speed, Dave wishing to see the very dated looking canteen which was due to be demolished the following week. Once again we accessed the site without too much bother, and headed in to one of the older parts of the Redcar site, the former mechanical workshops of Dorman and Long. Other than a few bits of dated signage there wasn't much to see... and sadly the canteen was soft stripped and ready for demo - no British Steel tea cups to be found.

DSC_0474.jpg

DSC_0475.jpg

No sooner had I got my camera out to take a few snaps we noticed moving light, and before we could really do anything about it we realized there was a security chap on foot doing a patrol. We hid behind the scrap pile and legged it as soon as possible, and once again made it out unscathed. I'm still not certain if he actually knew we were there or not!​

Last edited:

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
After much conversation about the steelworks and Speed's early ventures inside, I got the jist that the BOS plant was really the thing to see. I'd been given some intel that it was doable, so after a few hours kip in the car we walked down the black path, followed the instructions given and we were in. It really did blow me away just how big a building it was, the likes of which I've seen nothing like in all the years we've been roaming around industrial buildings.

We made it to the roof in time for sunrise over Teesside and some stunning views

DSC_1306.jpg

DSC_1307.jpg

DSC_1322.jpg

DSC_1339.jpg

DSC_1349.jpg

DSC_1344.jpg

All the gantry cranes in the building were immense.
DSC_1351.jpg

DSC_1369.jpg

The lance that injects the oxygen into the iron to create steel. This view from the gantry was epic. Industry on a scale few get to witness.
DSC_1385.jpg

Emergency refuge. Note the air raid siren on the roof - no doubt ploughed into the rubble.

DSC_1410.jpg

DSC_1390.jpg

DSC_1391.jpg

This crane was built by the same firm as the Swan Hunter shipyard cranes I'd climbed about 15 years earlier

DSC_1429.jpg

DSC_1428.jpg

DSC_1432.jpg

DSC_1437.jpg

DSC_1440.jpg

DSC_1441.jpg

DSC_1442.jpg

After heading down a level at a time we got close to the bottom and noticed the oh so familiar Hylux parked at the bottom by the open entrance. "Perhaps that's where he always parks" A bit of climbing over scrap hoppers got us back to our exit point avoiding his line of site, only to find another car parked directly at our point of exit... shit! I've got to say Speed is good in this kind of situation and he led us through the BOS right up to the far end, where demolition was actively occurring and we looked out across the works road, as various heavy plant and dumper trucks passed by. "Were just going to go for it, if someone shouts just keep going!" And that we did... dashed for the gate, up and over and into the relative safety of the Black Path. It would seem that we were not spotted, yet another great escape! I'm fairly certain they knew we were in there though from the off, just too coincidental where the car was parked.

I took two things away from seeing the BOS. Speed had been right, it was just about as epic as a building could be. It also occurred to me that once something like this is lost, it 'aint coming back. There is no way a private enterprise could ever undertake such a construction on their own dime. The facility was build with public investment from the day's of BSC. It's easy to shut it, blow it up and build warehouses on it... I do wonder if there will ever come a time we as a nation will come to regret sweeping it away?

DSC_1348.jpg

DSC_1375.jpg

DSC_1415.jpg

DSC_1417.jpg

DSC_1418.jpg

Last edited:

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Our final trip to the site was to see a bit more of the 1950's stuff that South Bank had to offer. Before I got another attempt the Dorman Long tower I had wanted to scale so much had been listed, de-listed and blown up in controlled demolition without me ever setting foot anywhere near it. That said I was keen to see what was left to see.
Refreshingly our final trip was of a different vein. The wailing sensor triggered alarms that had hindered us throughout the entire exploration of the site were gone, and we were able to push a bit deeper into the site, back to the ground floor of the turbo blower house, and the mechanical workshops.

Considering there had been considerable demolition on the site, the workshops were just as you'd wish to find them, complete down to the coats on the hooks. Another nice old building, cupboards full of stuff to rummage in and offices with the little personal touches from the site's working life.

DSC_1610.jpg

DSC_1623.jpg

DSC_1625.jpg

Always nice to bump into an old friend....

DSC_1640.jpg

DSC_1654.jpg

DSC_1656.jpg

DSC_1666.jpg

DSC_1667.jpg

DSC_1672.jpg

DSC_1678.jpg

DSC_1682.jpg

DSC_1683.jpg

DSC_1687.jpg

Feeling bold, with renewed confidence now the sensors were gone, we pushed onto the coke oven gas holder, which had a convenient hole cut in the side. It was blown down by explosion just a couple of weeks after we went inside.

DSC_1693.jpg

DSC_1694.jpg

DSC_1699.jpg

And finally the Scrubber Pump House, again little changed from the 1950's
DSC_1702.jpg

Danger Board at the ready!

DSC_1703.jpg

DSC_1708.jpg

So my initial quest to climb the famous coal hopper failed, despite numerous attempts. In fairness, Both Dave and Speed said it was just a coal hopper, and nothing to shout about. I never really managed to venture into the coke battery, but in trying to achieve these things we had some great adventures, saw some fantastic spaces, and won every game of cat and mouse we found ourselves in. As the final remnants of Teesside steel making is ploughed into the earth, I reflect back and feel I got to see a good slice of what the place had to offer. I hope you enjoy looking at the snaps.

download (1).jpg

Last edited:

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Im more than glad we went back so many times. I don't think i really appreciated how much of a gem Southbank was until the last few trips. Was hoping Appleby would be on a par with it but seems not really.

Just annoying Covid fucked up seeing the torpedo repair shed, that's the one bit we missed i think had potential to be very good.

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Brilliant comprehensive report, love how you seek out every nook and cranny over so many re-visits that others sometimes miss.

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I had near enough the exact same experience as you with teesside. I already miss it! But fortunately/unfortunately, depends how you look at it, we'll be doing it all again with PT and Scunthorpe soon enough.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Thats a great write up mate. So good to see some of the lesser documented parts too. Them Hilux’s were intense when we did the BF and we too managed to get away by a whisker. Regret not going back to see more so it’s great to see all this whilst demo was ongoing.

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I very much enjoyed this, I wish I could have seen a bit more of Southbank, and rummaging in general! It always felt like the time-frame for demolition of the entire site was practically impossible, and it still feels odd to think that the whole area was turned into a featureless wasteland in under two years! Athough it's unfortunate that jaunts aimed at the Torpedo Repair Shop and Steel House appear to have been unsuccessful, as a collective, I think we did a pretty good job of documenting the works, especially given the lavish security presence.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
as a collective, I think we did a pretty good job of documenting the works, especially given the lavish security presence.
Agreed. As speed said above I think the Torpedo repair shop may have been good as it was Cleveland Works vintage, but I think between the die hards we saw much of what there was.
I would have liked to see the South Bank offices, right where security were... but if the BOS plant offices were anything to go by we didn't miss much.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
The real mistake was more people not going when it first closed. The urbex world can be a puzzling place at times. It was no secret. We put photos up after every trip and surely people could see how amazing it was yet hardly anyone bothered and then those who did mainly just did a touristy climb of the furnace. None of it makes sense to me really. It was handed to us on a plate but there only so much a small group can cover in a month or twos worth of visits. No doubt torpedo shop was sitting there with no security for a while but there was so much to see I just didn't get time. Don't understand why shit holes get so much attention but one of the best Explores of the decade hardly anyone went :hmm