real time web analytics
Decent Wide Lens | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Decent Wide Lens

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
I heard about that, it's the light heating the glass and distorting it. You need to use an nd filter to cut it out. About 1 stop per 30 seconds ought to do it.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I've never noticed it and I've taken hundreds of long exposure / small aperture shots. I'd be looking at the tripod as the source of that before blaming the lens.

Bigian88

The Massive Mancunian
28DL Full Member
Me either and I'd never blame the lens for it. It would be something moving the camera (wind, unbalanced tripod etc) a small amount that would soften edges of the image.

ClmntGbrl

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I heard about that, it's the light heating the glass and distorting it. You need to use an nd filter to cut it out. About 1 stop per 30 seconds ought to do it.
Well thanks for the tip i'll try that.

I've never noticed it and I've taken hundreds of long exposure / small aperture shots. I'd be looking at the tripod as the source of that before blaming the lens.

Me either and I'd never blame the lens for it. It would be something moving the camera (wind, unbalanced tripod etc) a small amount that would soften edges of the image.

It's a natural behaviour of any lens from my experience though i didn't do any research on that subject. I have a few nd filters like ND 64 & ND 1000 to make really long exposures (several minutes for example) and i had this softening happening on many lenses. But you might be right, it could be vibrations on the tripod side. I always thought this was a physical aspect of the lens, i'll have to make "scientific" tests to draw a conclusion.

;)

Thanks anyway !

Last edited:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The only references I've found reference the softening of images, has to do with long lenses only... 'long lens distortion'. It's something you can't buy your way out of, it would affect the cheapest and most expensive lenses by the same degree.

Dudman

I'm not lost until I give up finding my way...
28DL Full Member
Well looks like we have a winner. Will get some money together and try out the Tonika.

Thank you all for your inputs, hopefully I'll get some great shots for you all.

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
Just to be sure, maybe I should say that I was completely taking the piss.
Length of exposure alone won't affect sharpness unless there is another factor involved, as has been said it will almost certainly be movement somewhere.

ClmntGbrl

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes, i think i was in denial (no it can't be me that hit the tripod !!!!!)
but i think it's right to say that this may be cause...!

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details