real time web analytics
Report - - Deep mine shaft exploration, Near Truro, Cornwall. 10/2/08 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Deep mine shaft exploration, Near Truro, Cornwall. 10/2/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Pasty

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ok, we found this shaft a while back and decided it was too deep for us at the time and needed some climbing/absailing practice.

So we got together some gear, had a few practice runs at a nearby quarry and then when for it at the weekend.

This shaft is located in a wooded area, a short distance from a footpath, and had a large garage door covering it, with the remains of a trodden down barbed wire fence on the floor.
I was quite surprised actually, lifting the lid we could see it is a very deep shaft for the amount of protection around it.
For this reason, i wont be naming where it is or giving any directions.

gear1.jpg

getting ready for the descent
who2.jpg

down we go....
5-2.jpg

down...
22-1.jpg

which eventually led to a large chamber with a big pile of rubbish at the base- looks the the local farmer has been using this as his own rubbish tip.
15-1.jpg

tunnels leading off
14.jpg

tunnels...
13-1.jpg

tunnels....!
9-2.jpg

mine cart! awsome...
18-3.jpg

things on the roof
11-2.jpg

explosives box? probably not but its a nice thought
12-1.jpg

old ladder left in position in one of the bigger chambers.
8-1.jpg

cartway with a big drop to the side
7-2.jpg

more tunnels.
We could have spent a few hours in the place it was truely awsome, there is still much to go back and see. We retraced our steps back to the shaft we came down and prepared for the climb back up.
Of cource, theres always the ladders if your prefer....
21-2.jpg

not sure i would have wanted to try.
19-2.jpg

View from the bottam of the shaft looking up!
I took 15mins to climb back out, the others times varied from 10mins to almost 40! Glad to be back up top again.
A really great afternoon underground. :)