real time web analytics
Deep Mine Headstocks, Part 1, The Midlands, Various Locations, 2022-23 | Noteworthy Reports | Page 4 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Deep Mine Headstocks, Part 1, The Midlands, Various Locations, 2022-23

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Superb finish to this project. Some security guards act like little Hitlers and are power mad, what a nob! I am fascinated at the depths some of these go too. Reading over 2500 ft is quite surprising.
Mining is so dangerous and I am glad that the deaths get mentioned in history, its as it should be.
Fantastic images once again. Learnt a lot from this 4 part series. Great job :)

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Just a note on the Sir Francis level, it's not really an abseil down a shaft, more of a climb down a hole in a partially collapsed adit - the issue is low oxygen more than anything else.
Also I would have thought there more underground winding mechanisms still there in old mines than just the ones you mention - miney types would know better.

Last edited:

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Superb finish to this project. Some security guards act like little Hitlers and are power mad, what a nob! I am fascinated at the depths some of these go too. Reading over 2500 ft is quite surprising.
Mining is so dangerous and I am glad that the deaths get mentioned in history, its as it should be.
Fantastic images once again. Learnt a lot from this 4 part series. Great job :)
Thank you very much Jane! It was a ballache, also influenced the decision not to pay for Beamish, which is why there's no closeups of that one, I hid in the car park to do it. Agreed with the deaths, definitely deserved a mention.

Just a note on the Sir Francis level, it's not really an abseil down a shaft, more of a climb down a hole in a partially collapsed adit - the issue is low oxygen more than anything else.
Also I would have thought there more underground winding mechanisms still there in old mines than just the ones you mention - miney types would know better.
@alex17595 has mentioned the same, so it may be one I can try and do at some point in the future, definitely need to invest in a gas meter and waders first though! Bwlchglas may also be possible, water level depending.
I would imagine you're correct there, it's a shame there's not a more comprehensive list available to track them down, I used one complied on Aditnow, and they are the only ones on there unfortunately.

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely done. Must have taken a lot of time and effort to get around all of these!
I started properly in December, been chasing them down more than urbexing over the last few months tbh 😂
What a fantastic series. I had no idea there were so many headstocks remaining, great to see them all
I was pleasantly surprised by the numbers too, they are definitely an endangered species though!

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I waited till I got home to read this properly. Another great report to finish off a great series. You covered so many
and got some great pics and really well written and documented. I reckon if all four parts had been in one report it would almost be noteworthy.

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I waited till I got home to read this properly. Another great report to finish off a great series. You covered so many
and got some great pics and really well written and documented. I reckon if all four parts had been in one report it would almost be noteworthy.
Thank you very much! Probably would have been an idea to do them together yeah, would be a very long read though!
Definitely noteworthy. I'll see if we can merge them somehow.
That would be awesome if it's possible!

Who has read this thread (Total: 465) View details