real time web analytics
Report - - Deepdene Comms Bunker, May 2018 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Deepdene Comms Bunker, May 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WilsonTheHuman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I know, this one has taken me an age to post, but in my defence right after this one I got quite sick, moved to a different county and changed jobs all in the space of about 6 weeks!

Anyway, enough about my personal life, that's not what you're all here for! Here's the explore.

History: When the Southern Railway took over Deepdene House (also known as the Deepdene Hotel) for its wartime Headquarters it discovered that there were natural caves in the grounds. These caves had been acknowledged 300 years before in the diaries of John Evelyn. Because of the natural protection afforded by the location of the caves they were eminently suitable for the development of a bunker to house both the sites switchboard and the Traffic Control. The lawn between the caves and the house was used as a site for the 99foot mast supporting aerials of the emergency radio. The bunker was constructed within the caves which were enlarged to house the 30 staff and once complete their emergency headquarters with office staff was moved there from Waterloo. The network of tunnels included a Control Room, meeting room, 3-position switchboard, battery room, main distribution frame (MDF)/maintainers room, a bedroom for the night officer and an air plant and toilet facilities. A 60-foot vertical shaft at the rear of the complex provided an air inlet and emergency exit. A 4 foot thick concrete slab covered the complex but no protection was provided against a ‘near miss’ (source: http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/d/deepdene_house/index.html)

This was the last location we hit up that day, we attempted two other locations but these both failed due to one being well sealed and the other already having occupants, who were local kids happily trashing the inside, so we felt it was best to leave it for another time. The other location was Fuller's Earthworks. Report on that one coming soon!

A warning; this place is riddled with Asbestos. PLEASE be careful entering this site. Also the floor is riddled with holes, as I found out to my own peril by nearly falling down one!

IMG_6827.JPG

IMG_6828.JPG

IMG_6829.JPG

IMG_6830.JPG

IMG_6832.JPG

IMG_6833.JPG

IMG_6836.JPG

IMG_6837.JPG

IMG_6839.JPG

IMG_6841.JPG

IMG_6842.JPG

IMG_6844.JPG