real time web analytics
Report - - Derelict Mooring, Purfleet RM19, 3rd March 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Derelict Mooring, Purfleet RM19, 3rd March 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Manliketomz

28DL Member
28DL Member
Purfleet is a small town in Essex, England. It is contained between the A13 road to the north and the River Thames to the south and is within the easterly bounds of the M25 motorway but just outside the Greater London boundary. In the 18th century, Purfleet Royal Gunpowder Magazine was established as a location for the storage of gunpowder together with a garrison to protect it.
However from the 20th century onward Purfleet has been the site of a Unilever works since 1917. It is also the location of an Essolubricants plant, a ro-ro ferry terminal, and the head office of Carpetright, the UK's largest flooring company. It is also home to Scania GB Ltd's largest European workshop/office.

However the town, from the moment I stepped off the bus, seems to be in decline with many cases of blight from "Botany Cottages" to the derelict chapel of which there will be future posts, but on this day I decided to document the disused mooring. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any history of this site, but its purpose is relatively self explanatory.

Equipment:
All photos were taken using a 35mm analogue camera (Cannon FTb ql) with a 50mm lens, using fujifilm superia 400 film. In addition to this I brought with me my manfrotto tripod.

Footnote:
This is not my first URBEX, however it is my first time posting on this site, so feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sources:
Wikipedia (lines 1-4)
Derelict London

000047370001.jpg

000047370009.jpg

000047370022.jpg

000047370007.jpg

000047370005.jpg

000047370006.jpg

000047370023.jpg

Passing By

28DL Member
28DL Member
I've just done a bit of research on this site, having had a look round earlier in the week.

This wharf is pretty much the only remaining part of the massive Thames Board Mills complex and was used to receive barges carrying bales of waste paper for recycling. The company had a waste paper operation at different points along the Thames, and in the 1960s and 70s when waste paper was in short supply, they imported waste paper from Holland in small coasters. The overhead cranes extended beyond the water’s edge to allow barges to berth 2 deep and be unloaded and the cut-off bases of these can still be seen. Some of the bales were checked using the weighing equipment in the photo.

In the early days before the overhead cranes were installed, there was a rail system with cranes on but I couldn't see any remaining evidence of that.

Thanks to Paul at the Thames Board Mills Purfleet Facebook group for the info and photos.

Attachments

• purfleet 1.jpg
    purfleet 1.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 28
  • purfleet 2.jpg
    purfleet 2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 30
  • purfleet 3.jpg
    purfleet 3.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 30

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows