real time web analytics
Report - - Derwen, St Mary | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Derwen, St Mary

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tigger

mog
Regular User
I've known this place was here for a long time and had actually photographed the gateway many years ago. This visit was a spur of the minute detour enroute to a mine as I was running an hour early!

The current building dates back in part to the C15th though extensively rebuilt (under the directioon of architect Henry Kennedy) in 1857. Construction is in local stone with Welsh slate roof. Listed at Grade I due to the outstanding medieval rood screen and loft under an arched braced roof. There was a church on the site before the current building though I didn't see any physical evidence of that remaining.

For stained glass lovers there are two fine examples from the well known studio of James Powell & Sons in London which seem out of place in such a small rural church. Both installed in the 1860s. Part tiled, part wood, part flagged floor, an oak relicquary, two fonts (one from 1665, the other C19th) as well as the usual funeral bier.

In the churchyard is a medieval cross (though on a later modern stepped plinth), a pleasing un-vandalised brass sundial (seems rare to find one with it's gnomon) and a small two storey building that has been used as a school room and parish room amongst other things. It is thought this building may have originally been part of a lych gate. All of these items are separately 'listed' and they are owned by the local parish not the FoFC (who lease the church).

"The single bell is dated 1751" ...or so the history says...quite clearly two bells when I visited!

dsm1.jpg

dsm2.jpg

dsm3.jpg

dsm4.jpg

dsm5.jpg

dsm6.jpg

dsm7.jpg

dsm8.jpg

dsm9.jpg

dsm10.jpg