Web
Analytics
Report - - Detached Bastion and Grand Shaft, Dover, Kent, Feb 2012 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Detached Bastion and Grand Shaft, Dover, Kent, Feb 2012

Weeble

Having a blonde moment
28DL Full Member
#1
Visited with Catullus. He's already posted his report, which is here: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=69209

This was mostly a chance to play around with lighting. We spent a few hours in Detached Bastion messing around with torch filters made from sweet wrappers and then headed over to the Grand Shaft.

History from Underground Kent:
The North Centre and Detached Bastions are located between the Drop Redoubt and the Citadel on the Western Heights. Their purpose was to assist in defending the northern approaches to Dover, particularly from the Folkestone Road, along which it was envisaged Napoleon and the French Grand Army would attack.

Work on the North Centre Bastion began in 1804 as part of the main Western Heights works, although it was incomplete in 1815 when Napoleon was defeated at the Battle of Waterloo. In 1859 the Royal Commission which called for modification across the Western Heights reviewed the unfinished North Centre Bastion. Work began on its completion and the construction of the Detached Bastion and its caponier. They were armed throughout the main phase of occupation at the Western Heights, but along with the rest of the fortress, its decline was rapid and at the turn of the century its guns were removed. The bastions saw very little use after this time, with only local defence use during both World Wars.

The Army relinquished the Western Heights after the Second World War and the North Centre and Detached Bastions have remained empty and unused since. Despite the surrounding ditches becoming very overgrown, the bastions have been very vandalised.
43ee9771.jpg


aba02a46.jpg


67e924d2.jpg


727a3d81.jpg


84d1cf85.jpg


fd975c22.jpg


b31766fa.jpg


9d93132a.jpg


4e8cbaec.jpg
 

Similar threads