real time web analytics
Information - - Don't set fires in sandstone caves! | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Don't set fires in sandstone caves!

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

haych

Keep it real
28DL Full Member
I mean i would see this as pretty much common sense, but i few people i know recently told me that they were going camping in a cave, and asked me too come along, i told them that sounds like a nice plan and that im down, when i asked where and what cave they told me its a sandstone cave and they regularly go and light fires , camp , drink and chill.

At this point i kinda seemed like Mr buzzkillington in telling them how stupid that is and that sandstone dry's out from the heat very easily and can make the rock very unstable and prone to collapse.

Im not going to post the link out of respect, but going back some years a kid that was older than me so never met him, but very well known by alot of my friends, made the same mistake on what i believe was his birthday or his birthday party, lit a fire in the sandstone caves in bridgnorth, shropshire. And it collapsed and he tragically passed away.

I just wanted to post this so that people can understand the dangers of this and hopefully someone on here who doesn't know NOT to do this, might see this, and it could stop something nasty from happening!

haych

Keep it real
28DL Full Member
Its utterly ridiculous, Iv seen evidence of fires in a lot of mines, even the ironstone ones that have notoriously bad O2 anyway!

That sounds even more stupid than having a fire in a sandstone cave, who would have a fire in a mine where conditions aren't great anyway?

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
There are exceptions. Forest coal mines, for example, used to have open fires going in the mine to promote air flow but this is very specific to the forest and the way coal is mined there and was perfectly safe.

But yes, lighting fires underground is not generally a great idea.

haych

Keep it real
28DL Full Member
There are exceptions. Forest coal mines, for example, used to have open fires going in the mine to promote air flow but this is very specific to the forest and the way coal is mined there and was perfectly safe.

But yes, lighting fires underground is not generally a great idea.

Thanks for that Oort i had no idea about that, pretty interesting, man i bet it was swealtering under there with a fire burning as well! Miners had it tough haha!

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Fires and mines ! Very complicated subject has been started here I see lol I am going to keep my opinion on this very simple as no doubt every YouTube idiot is reading this - their is quite a lot of exceptions in this for working mines that are benefiting from lighting fires underground but again these where WORKING mines it’s a hudge difference that I will not get into detail about .

Don’t let fires underground is my opinion!

A original fire barrel around 1939-1942 area of the mine note the pikaxe entry holes to aid the air flow

Last edited:

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Thanks for that Oort i had no idea about that, pretty interesting, man i bet it was swealtering under there with a fire burning as well! Miners had it tough haha!

All deep coal mines did this at one point, a fire was lit at the bottom of the shaft, the rising heat sucked in fresh oxygen from the downcast forcing all the 'used air out'

Why do people even do it? Mines aren't that cold and the fumes are horrible even if mine conditions are good.

I hate people smoking underground as well, its really obnoxious. The worst thing I've come accross was people doing weed down a mine.

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
All deep coal mines did this at one point, a fire was lit at the bottom of the shaft, the rising heat sucked in fresh oxygen from the downcast forcing all the 'used air out'

Why do people even do it? Mines aren't that cold and the fumes are horrible even if mine conditions are good.

I hate people smoking underground as well, its really obnoxious. The worst thing I've come accross was people doing weed down a mine.

dunno I find people farting the worst.......especially when your doing a belly crawl.......no escape

Who has read this thread (Total: 211) View details