real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Drakelow Tunnel Report. ( A while ago.) | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Drakelow Tunnel Report. ( A while ago.)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

'Splorin'

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi Folks, this is my first trip report on here and it's of an old favourite - Drakelow Tunnels. I'm not sure I'll add anything that hasn't been said or seen before, but as a newcomer to the community I thought I'd post a report or two from some of 'splores I've made in the hope that like-minded folks reach out for more 'sploring.

Info & the history of the tunnels can be found - here. As you might imagine, It'll be a pic heavy report. Feel free to comment / critique my technique.

Ductwork - Who doesn't like a gently rusting bit of ductwork?
Drakelow_1(Ductwork).JPG

Tunnel - There's a few down here. Some are quite long.
Drakelow_2(Tunnel1).JPG

Clock - Obligatory 'Clock shot'
Drakelow_3(Clock).JPG

Controls - I have no idea, but they look good.
Drakelow_4(Controls).JPG

Perma Death. Can anyone enlighten me how that is different to regular Death? Maybe it just does something really bad to your 'fro? Either way, it's not very friendly!!
Drakelow_5(PermaDeath).JPG

Batteries - A rack of good old fashioned lead acid beauties, linked in an array, safely housed in a wooden box.
Drakelow_6(Batteries).JPG

Tunnel - Another tunnel.
Drakelow_7(Tunnel2).JPG

Tunnel - Yep, another tunnel.
Drakelow_8(Tunnel3).JPG

Canteen. This was quite modern looking. Cool!
Drakelow_9(Canteen1).JPG

Canteen - Kicking back in the Canteen. As you can see, this is barely used. You could eat your dinner off it... Oh wait..!
Drakelow_10(Canteen2).JPG

Generator - A kick-ass diesel generator that can still power some of the lighting in the tunnels. Noisy as hell!
Drakelow_11(Generator).JPG

Communications Desk - This was for internal communications. We found some for external / radio including 'scripts' to explain / obfusticate the situation in the event of Armageddon. (I must dig those photos out.)
Drakelow_12(Communications).JPG

Tunnel - Errr yeesss! Another tunnel shot.
Drakelow_13(Tunnel4).JPG

Old Canteen - This canteen looked a bit more 'used' than the other one we say. Maybe this was for 'the lower ranks'.
Drakelow_14(OldCanteen).JPG

Tunnels - A final few tunnel shots. You know this is Drakelow Tunnels right? You're gonna see tunnels.
Drakelow_15(Tunnel5).JPG

Yes, a strolly long exposure shot. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Drakelow_16(Tunnel6).JPG

Moody back-lit shot. Indulge me, it's my first trip report!
Drakelow_17(Tunnel7).JPG

Graffiti.
Drakelow_18(Graffiti).JPG

Sentry Box - A wee sentry box near the 'A' tunnel entry.
Drakelow_19(SentryBox).JPG

Thanks for looking. Keep an eye out for a few more reports coming soon.

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was this a permission visit? If so could you edit the title to "permission" and add when you visited (month / year).

Other than that, good report! :)

'Splorin'

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah! Missed that option. Yes, this was on an open day. Changed title to reflect this. Cannot remember when I went though.

Naturally, I took loads more pix, these are the ones that look the best...If anyone wants to see more, just say the word.