real time web analytics
Report - - Dudley Ryder School, Sandon, Staffordshire - April 2016 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dudley Ryder School, Sandon, Staffordshire - April 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ruby_Explorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Only a small report as its a small place! (With not a lot of natural light getting in)

Some information from the Sandon Estate historian...

"The Dudley Ryder School was founded in 1824 by Lord Harrowby & opened in 1825. Originally there were two class rooms one for boys & one for girls & there were around 100 pupils in attendance.
It was described as a "quaint" building with the headmaster`s house in between the girls & boys classrooms. Parents paid 1/3 per quarter ( about 6.5p ) with the Earl paying 2/3 ( 11.5p ) for each child. Rules laid down in 1843 state that attendance should be days per week from 9:30am to 4pm but not on Saturdays.
Sunday school was 9:30am & at 2pm, both of which HAD to be attended. Children had to arrive five minutes before services. There was a quarterly payment of 9/- (45p) for copy books, but reading books & stationary were free.
In 1895 the building was enlarged. The School was also open in the evenings ( 1848/1849) so that any railway worker who wished to lean to read & write may do so while building the nearby railway.
Due to falling pupil numbers & government cutbacks the school was closed & the remaining 16 pupils went to near by Weston & Milwich schools."

This property is split up into two parts, the main building (which the inside pictures are of) and the rear classroom which has a separate entrance and had boarded up since my last visit. On this visit I didn't have anything to help entry (without breaking anything, and I wouldn't want to do that would I!)

The school in 1888 (Photo from Sandon Estate Archives)
mJH8i4f.jpg

The last day of the school being open - 1981 (Photo from staffspasttrack.org.uk)
COgLxck.jpg

GnzOkpb.jpg

The exterior...
t8nB0N6.jpg

c8pKHzg.jpg

GZfR5rl.jpg

YZQytiM.jpg

RiFDQ3p.jpg

K8tQwPO.jpg

Exn1geh.jpg

A tyre swing, if you're bored.
UOWi0Rr.jpg

The outside Toilets...
JrLtsgx.jpg

elMdso6.jpg

ejuhvV9.jpg

(I only had a small torch with me..) The rescuable photos from the ground floor of the house.
bqJ0UpR.jpg

yUXxQsE.jpg

DJLBbxv.jpg

TYyk13v.jpg

Old heating system/oven?
6HHVEOf.jpg

A pretty much BRAND NEW disabled toilet (shower room) - squeaky clean.
pg1PMSh.jpg

Think this gap, which is located at the top of the main hall, leads up to the bell or at least a chimney of sorts?
NMymmw4.jpg

Inside the main hall.
wzZE13w.jpg

gG6acdw.jpg

GuNQNly.jpg

It was too dark on the second and third level to get anything good. However I will be popping together a small video that i'll post on this thread at some point.

Ruban.

Ruby_Explorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks like it could be quite good. How big is the hall?

Not that big, its the full height of the building (probably just over the size of a regular house) and is split up into two parts (3rd picture from bottom showing the dividing wall) one room probably 4mx4m and the other 5m x 4m? Roughly.

The images are huge, could you resize them?

Yeah I can, Oxygen Thief said these dimensions are fine? I do like big pictures but then again my monitor is quite large, not sure how it comes across on a smaller monitor?

Ill scale them a little though!

Ruban.

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah I can, Oxygen Thief said these dimensions are fine? I do like big pictures but then again my monitor is quite large, not sure how it comes across on a smaller monitor?

Ill scale them a little though!
Cheers mate, they were massive on my screen and it was taking forever to load