Report - - Dymchurch Redoubt, Kent. 7.4.09 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Dymchurch Redoubt, Kent. 7.4.09


Too old to give a f*ck...
28DL Full Member
Got to see this site with the MOD's permission, however with it still being a 'live' site the private forum is the only place this report can go really. Shame, as it's a really interesting site with plenty of features still remaining.
Built between 1805 and 1808 on the site of the former Brook Barn, Dymchurch Redoubt was one of three redoubts built at the time, the others being at Eastbourne and Harwich. In conjunction with the Martello Towers, it formed an important part of the defences along the coastline.
The Redoubt consists of a ring of casemates with an inner courtyard and was surrounded by a wide dry circular ditch built of brick. Access to the fort was originally provided by a drawbridge, these days there is just a fixed structure, probably added during the heavy modifications that took place in WW2.
The original armament was eleven 24 pounder cannon mounted on wooden carriages which ran on four wheels along a wooden inclined traversing platform - these guns would have had a range of approximately one mile. By the 1870's the upgraded weaponry defending the Redoubt consisted of two 68 pounder RMLs and ten 32 pounders, the 68 pounders having an effective range of 2.5 miles. By WW2 two 6" BLs were mounted on the roof in brick and concrete gun houses as protection from enemy aircraft, machine guns with 20mm and 40mm AA weapons being added by 1942 - the original seaward facing gun positions were widened to incorporate the new machine gun posts while two other positions were destroyed completely. The Observation Tower was also added at this time.
In the 1970's the Redoubt was used as an urban training facility for soldiers destined for Northern Ireland with panels being fixed to the interior walls of the courtyard depicting street scenes. The only surviving traces of this facility are the six firing posts at terreplain level, the panels being removed in 1996.
The Ministry of Defence still use the site for training troops in close-quarters fighting - a purpose built 'Killing Hut' and various casemates are the new playgrounds which benefit from low velocity training ammunition and military grade paint marking technology, as well as various electronic enhancements.

The Inner Courtyard & Observation Tower

Directions are always handy

A colourful central corridor runs between the Casemates

For those with a peeling paint fetish...

Some Casemates are empty, others have been adapted for various scenarios

Various original fittings remain, including a number of fireplaces...

...as well as coat hooks

Probably the nicest of the Casemates

The showers

Some interesting stairwells

Original door architecture

To the Muffs!

WW2 Observation Point

Don't lose your keys!

Tunnel connecting the WW2 gun positions

The MOD 'Rupert' who acted as chaperone was a top chap - good to see something out of the ordinary, even if some of it was off limits to photography.


Similar threads