real time web analytics
Report - - Dyson Precision Ceramics - Sheffield - May 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dyson Precision Ceramics - Sheffield - May 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Dyson Precision Ceramics – Sheffield

1-23_zps02d46877.jpg

History

The company was founded by John Dyson who began mining clay and making bricks in the early 1800s. From the very beginning the business was a success. The 1834 Sheffield trade directory lists - “John Dyson - Brick Maker, Stannington†which indicates that he ran the business on his own. However, by 1838 the business was listed as “John Dyson and Son - Black clay miners and firebrick manufacturers, Griffs House, Stannington.

Dyson's were manufacturers of Refractory material, ceramics for the steel industry, they also produce fire backs and other household ceramic bricks for the likes of Aga's etc. They have also been know to sell clay for use in Well Dressings.

Unfortunately Dyson's traditional manufacturing process relied heavily on gas fired kilns. With increased in energy costs the plants was no longer economically viable, despite the very best efforts of the management and staff alike the site closed around 2005.

The high performance niche products in Dyson's range are still available and are the cornerstone in Dyson's progression. The company have a wholly owned manufacturing facility in Tianjin, PRC which produces is high quality products.

My Visit

This site has been on my list for a bit, failed 2 months ago after struggling through snow drifts only to find the section of road closed for road works. 2 months later the road works are still ongoing making some of the site out of bounds as they park in front of the building. A few hour here meant I saw most of this huge site, the office block being the only place I couldn’t access. Even though it’s been derelict for a few years there’s still plenty of interesting things to see.

As soon as you enter this site, you realise it is actually quite big!

2-23_zps3741d36e.jpg

A quick stroll and I found my way into one of the larger buildings where 3 kilns stood.

3-23_zpsa919b6cd.jpg

4-23_zps9a047b75.jpg

Then there was a very nice switch room.

5-23_zps5a95a2e7.jpg

And some nice street art, so far an enjoyable stroll.

6-23_zps5b4034ba.jpg

Even though this site doesn’t appear on the radar too often, there are plenty of props knocking around most of the buildings.

7-23_zps6a6c90b0.jpg

Liked this rest room, a quick pic through a window as I wandered past looking for a way into the next building.

8-23_zpsc7f57d6a.jpg

Very dark in this bit and looks where a lot of the manufacturing took place.

9-22_zpsad7b179c.jpg

10-21_zps2b217682.jpg

After an attempt on the office block and struggling to get into some of the other buildings I returned back to the 1st building and found some stuff I’d missed before, more kilns for starters.

11-19_zps348dbbdd.jpg

12-18_zps8e92aaaf.jpg

Then some of the offices and workshops.

14-14_zps002ee870.jpg

13-13_zps6365b969.jpg

15-11_zps43f72c61.jpg

16-10_zpsbe6c1921.jpg

I then ended up back at the one main building I hadn’t got into besides the office block. Workmen were at the front so that was a no go, access at the rear was a bit dodgy, a few wanders past and no other options; I thought sod it as I doubt I’d return. It didn’t turn out as bad as it looked and was worth the effort.

18-7_zpsaeb6d59d.jpg

A couple of small kilns.

19-4_zpscecfc56e.jpg

And some larger plant.

17-8_zpse534bf40.jpg

Well that’s it, an enjoyable mooch which I’m glad I finally got done.

Cheers,

TLR​