real time web analytics
Report - - east brook, (bombay mix) Bradford, August 2019 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - east brook, (bombay mix) Bradford, August 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
We visited bombay mix in 2016 while doing the flood alleviation culverts but had to bail because of bad air,
having recently visited academy we decided on returning to bombay mix (with abit of persuasion from me).
Entering at the outfall (Bradford beck) we made our way in,
this was long, stoopy & tiring to say the least with lots of filth along the way, we bailed at the junction by the steep slippery gradient about 70% of the overall length
then returned exiting at the mid way point (didn't fancy the long & stoopy walk to the outfall & then Bradford beck to conditioning house) we made our way out.
Once at top side we found ourselves in a semi live site so up across the palisade & away.
The 4 gas remained on 20. 8 throughout except in cso no. 3 it dropped to 20. 4, there was a lot of haze by the junction & weir
thanks to @ACID- REFLUX for doing this with me & providing the 4 gas &
@Ojay for the epic thread on bombay mix which inspired me to persue this lot.

The east brook is a tributary of the Bradford beck,
which duels as a combined sewer for the eastern side.
The infall is situated alongside Gibson street & consists of stoopy flat concrete half blocked by debris,
the culvert is stone & brick with a mid section of round concrete pipe,
there's 2 waterways & 5 combined sewer outflows which discharge in the culvert, the latter during excess flooding.
The outfall (which merges with the Bradford beck) is situated beneath Broadway & consists of a flat concrete roof with brick walls.

This brick pipe climbs a steep slippery gradient & continues towards the infall eventually shrinking

1.JPG

One of 2 waterways discharging in the culvert

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Cso no. 4
discharge pipe

6.JPG

7.JPG

Weir

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

Mid section round concrete pipe

12.JPG

13.JPG

Cso no. 3
sewer & forming of a fatburg

14.JPG

Screening chamber

15.JPG

Discharge pipe

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

Last edited:

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
1.JPG

2.JPG

Cso no. 2
You can't access the sewer & screening chamber from the culvert, the discharge pipe has been blocked at it's midway point
diverting all excess sewerage in then out (once full) this vast storage tank, hence bypassing the mid section of the discharge pipe

storage tank, it's extremely wide & deep (reminds me of a subterranean gasometer)

3.JPG

4.JPG

New discharge pipe exiting the storage tank

5.JPG

Original discharge pipe

6.JPG

7.JPG

Cso no. 1
sewer

8.JPG

Screening chamber

9.JPG

Discharge pipe

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

2nd waterway discharging in the brook

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

Merging with the Bradford beck

19.JPG

thanks for viewing

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Good to see this lot again, CSO 4 and 5 we'e not straight forward to access, none-the-less we managed a look in.

You've done a decent job covering this Eastern bit of the system, specifically the actual 'culvert' itself with pics as it's proper grim and pipe diameters as small as 3ft with some of the overflow pipes and specifically the upstream bits..

I wouldn't go back in any of it for love nor money so fair play really!

The tank that serves CSO #2 has always been full on the numerous occasions I've checked, you can however still access the inline screening chamber it's a right faff though, here's a pic

cso2.jpg

Cheers for the update :thumb

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Nice report mate, looks good. Still never been under bradford. Could be london some of that. I wanna go :D

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Superb, what an epic report. Gradient of 70% omg, brave.:D:D:D I would love to do a culvert. I am vanilla about them though, can I ask "what was the gas used for? Do you need help breathing so deep down?"

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
@Calamity Jane & @pastybarm

the 4 gas monitors o2 levels & detects poisonous gases re: co2, co3 or ch4
if the o2 levels drop or poisonous gases are detected the device activates red flashing lights & a warning siren.

20.8% is standard, air contains 21% o2 (oxygen) measured in parts per million (ppm).

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

Regular User
@Calamity Jane & @pastybarm

the 4 gas monitors o2 levels & detects poisonous gases re: co2, co3 or ch4
if the o2 levels drop or poisonous gases are detected the device activates red flashing lights & a warning siren.

20.8% is standard, air contains 21% o2 (oxygen) measured in parts per million (ppm).

Thank you @Stranton I understand now, Im glad I asked. Thats good you had the monitors with you. As TLR says safety is paramount. Very very good job. I love your shots here, and what an effort getting them. :Not Worthy

Last edited:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Ah ok, that would make sense. So is 20.8 good or bad do you know?

From a work point of view and personal safety 20.9% oxygen is regarded as the normal level. It is deemed safe between 19.5% and 23.5%.
Below 19.5% it can decreased ability to work strenuously; may impair coordination and may cause early symptoms for persons of coronary, pulmonary or circulatory problems. As the oxygen levels decrease it will lead to unconsciousness and death, this can happen surprisingly quickly and often leads to multiple fatalities as people rush into the low oxygen environment to try and rescue the person who has collapsed.
Above 23.5% it is deemed to be an oxygen rich environment and an extreme fire risk.
At the summit of Mount Everest the average person takes in about 30% of the oxygen in the air that they would take in at sea level; so about 7%. Only around 4% of people attempt it without a bottled supply of oxygen and spend months acclimatising to the effects of low oxygen. The reliance of bottled oxygen is a major contributing factor to the deaths on Everest, as once your supply runs out your body and mind deteriorated quickly and soon become unconscious. With the ever increasing number of people trying to summit and reliance of good weather windows, this has resulted in huge queues to and from the summit, the delays being a major factor as to why people run out of oxygen and die.

Calamity Jane

Regular User
From a work point of view and personal safety 20.9% oxygen is regarded as the normal level. It is deemed safe between 19.5% and 23.5%.
Below 19.5% it can decreased ability to work strenuously; may impair coordination and may cause early symptoms for persons of coronary, pulmonary or circulatory problems.
Above 23.5% it is deemed to be an oxygen rich environment and an extreme fire risk.
At the summit of Mount Everest the average person takes in about 30% of the oxygen in the air that they would take in at sea level; so about 7%. Only around 4% of people attempt it without a bottled supply of oxygen and spend months acclimatising to the effects of low oxygen. The reliance of bottled oxygen is a major contributing factor to the deaths on Everest, as once your supply runs out your body and mind deteriorated quickly and soon become unconscious. With the ever increasing number of people trying to summit and reliance of good weather windows, this has resulted in huge queues to and from the summit, the delays being a major factor as to why people run out of oxygen and die.

Thank you for this, Im into survival & watch alot of programs and even build shelters and make fires. I knew about attitude sickness, but not the cut of points. Ive watched Everest climbs, and they fascinate me. The base camp acclimation, then 2nd base too. I do admire anyone doing these climbs. I do hate the fact that bodies are left there, though understand some they cant get too. Ive also watched people up as far as 5000ft start to feel sick, dizzy and struggle as you rightly say.

But this info is brilliant as they never explain properly the levels, and what they mean. Those 4% are brave, the guides are also brave. Altitude effects is something that scares me. So sincerely thank you @The Lone Ranger . Very knowable & fascinating. :D

Who has read this thread (Total: 334) View details