real time web analytics
Report - - Eaton Grange, Norwich - February 2024 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Eaton Grange, Norwich - February 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A place I checked out a few times several years ago. It was very intact and you could pretty much openly walk around it, but it was sealed more tight than a tight thing. I do drive past this on a regular basis and noticed the had put a great big tall fence all the way around. So thought I would give it another go as I had high hopes for this one, as it’s a very old house and extended out back with a nice fifties block with arched windows. I finally managed to navigate the fence, and was in the grounds. Hopes dropped a bit when I see the front window out and smashed windows. Got inside and sadly the scrappers had been inside and done what scrappers do best. I was debating if to bother, but after the fence effort on a busy road and people walking around I decided to get some, it’s undocumented on here as well. The house part still retained some features, but as expected it’s got that modern clinical feel to it. Surprisingly graffiti was minimal with a few scribbles with a marker pen, no spray tags.
Not sure when the house was built, but it was occupied in 1877 by Margaret Fountaine an illustrator of natural history and collector of butterflies. Her travelled around the world resulting in a collection of 22,000 butterflies. These were donated to the Norwich castle museum. The family left the home and it became a boarding school. It later became a centre for women with learning difficulties which I think was under Little Plumstead Hospital. In its last days it was used by the NHS as a children’s centre, which was used for children with learning difficulties and other problems. Community paediatric teams were based here, as well ADHD psychology service and a short break home nursing service. The centre shut in 2017 when it was deemed surplus to requirements and moved down to the community hospital down the road. Permission has been granted to convert the house into seven flats, and the demolition of the fifties extension. A mixture of fifteen flats and houses will be built and the coach house turned in to a single home. The plan is also to have a butterfly garden in honour of Margaret. The development has met stiff opposition from locals.

The front of the house with the extension behind.

IMG_7442.jpeg

At least the original staircase was still in situ.

IMG_7446.jpeg

My favourite bit was this stain glass window. It has been saved by damage from that strengthened glasss with wire criss crossing through it. It was prob put in to protect the glass if they had an unruly child decide to smash it.

IMG_7447.jpeg

IMG_7449.jpeg

IMG_7450.jpeg

IMG_7451.jpeg

IMG_7452.jpeg

IMG_7453.jpeg

IMG_7454.jpeg

IMG_7455.jpeg

IMG_7456.jpeg

The front rooms with the bay windows.

IMG_7458.jpeg

IMG_7459.jpeg

IMG_7460.jpeg

IMG_7462.jpeg

Heading into the fifties extension.

IMG_7463.jpeg

An area it seemed was a children’s play area at some point.

IMG_7464.jpeg

IMG_7465.jpeg

IMG_7466.jpeg

IMG_7467.jpeg

IMG_7468.jpeg

IMG_7469.jpeg

IMG_7470.jpeg

IMG_7474.jpeg

IMG_7480.jpeg

IMG_7477.jpeg

The coach house.

IMG_7482.jpeg

IMG_7483.jpeg

IMG_7445.jpeg

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Not bad at all that mate. Nice find. I like the old telephone mounted on the wall and love the second-to-last shot.
Cheers mate, it could have been better if it had not been stripped and left for dead. But it’s quite an historic building. The externals were really nice.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice old building in parts. Spotting features like old dado rails and picture rails, sash windows etc shows it age. Beautifully designed chimneys there. And plenty of toilets, even though they are more modern.

Nice set this. 👍

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice old building in parts. Spotting features like old dado rails and picture rails, sash windows etc shows it age. Beautifully designed chimneys there. And plenty of toilets, even though they are more modern.

Nice set this. 👍
Thanks Jane. Yeah spotted enough original stuff to get some shots. The chimney was nice. Was a lot of toilets surprisingly in here. Just shit a few as just modern ones.

Who has read this thread (Total: 162) View details