real time web analytics
Report - - Edward Thompson Paper Mill, Sunderland, August 2014 | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Edward Thompson Paper Mill, Sunderland, August 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Nice report & Pics :thumb
Funny how the Indians seems to love buying up our industry. All the paper machines from Stowford mill in Ivybridge were dismantled, put in shipping containers and sent over to India too....
Maybe they're after world domination in the paper industry!!

possibly!
found this snippet from the forum of the same site i found the photo of the machinery: -

RE 'The Hendon Paper Works Company Ltd on your Sunderland site. I worked at the paper mill for Domtar from 1977 to 1981 then when it was took over by Edward Thompson Ltd printers ( The Sunderland Paper Mill) in 1983 I was employed initially in the finishing processes (cutting sheets to size) then moved on to the paper making machines where i remained until the mills eventual final closure in 2005. The image of the machine on your site is the actual machine i worked on for many years... yes it was still producing paper up to 2005 albeit mostly bingo book paper ! I had the dubious honour of shutting the machine down on the final night of the closure, however before the machine was stripped down and packed up and sent to India (where i believe it is back in production) i obtained from the machine the brass engineering plaque with James Bertram and sons 1936 which i still have in my possession today

Good to know it is still being used... but wow, on them managing to get the original plaque... **jealous** :)

AJ

AJ
28DL Full Member
Well done on crossing this one off the list, the security's excessive. It certainly looked photogenic in operation.

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
Did you get into the boiler/power house? The building with the two chimneys?