real time web analytics
Report - - Eggborough Power Station - 2016 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Eggborough Power Station - 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

m9

big in japan
Regular User
egg47.jpg
In commemoration of the fact that dear old Eggbrough power station is to close its doors in the next few months, I thought it was about time I shared some photos of it when me and Tweek popped inside a couple of years ago. I have been quite careful to keep the photos from inside here under wraps as the whole site is under high court injection, making it a criminal offence of contempt of court for anyone found inside the perimeter. By now though, I’d wager we’re probably safe to share.

egg45.jpg

mwv.jpg

two out of three

Standing up at the top of the hills looking down towards Megawatt valley and seeing Drax, Ferrybridge and Eggbrough at full stream is a sight I bloody well wish I had a photo of. Not long since, Ferrybridge closed it doors for good and by the summer of 2018, Eggbrough will join it, leaving only Drax to keep things going along the Aire valley. I kind of liked Eggbrough, from the outside at least, just for its unusual arrangement of cooling towers. It was almost a statement that set it apart from its sister stations to the east and west, 2 x 4, neatly arranged to the side. It was just a bit weird, a bit lop sided, a bit cooler.

eggTowers.jpg

egg44.jpg

Our trip in and around the place was sort of unremarkable. We went on one of the supposedly ‘off’ nights hoping we’d not bump into anyone, which we didn’t until we had to hit the deck in the turbine hall after an engineer went for a midnight stroll from the control room to one of the lower units.

egg37.jpg

egg38.jpg

From up top though, I thought the turbine hall was a bit of a dullard, well not that bad, just not as groovey as so many of their counterparts. Standard issue all-blue without the flair or pizzaz of many of the other stations I’ve had the pleasure to visit. Its not even as if the minimalist vibe of the cooling towers had had any influence, these were just a bit plain.

egg40.jpg

egg41.jpg

egg42.jpg

egg43.jpg

After our close encounter with that worker we both chickened it, played safe and left. No one wants to be seen in a live power station.

egg46.jpg

Good night sweet prince.

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Generators don't look too bad all the same, no pics from the boiler house whilst she was out of action or was it a bit shit like some of the other modern day ones ?

slayaaaa

I remember seeing a pic either you or tweek posted of the turbines somewhere and always liked the look of it, not sure what you mean by dullard, personally think this looks better than ferrybridge next door hah. As always, top job :D

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Yeh, looks shit. Stick to derelict nursing homes!

not sure what you mean by dullard, personally think this looks better than ferrybridge next door hah. As always, top job

Yeah all right, maybe was being a bit harsh. I kinda like how most turbine halls have their own distinctive feature, either funky colors or shapes of the turbine cases or weird layouts of the turbines. This was just like iron bridge x 2.

Generators don't look too bad all the same, no pics from the boiler house whilst she was out of action or was it a bit shit like some of the other modern day ones ?

Err, was a pretty standard affair really. I have a really hard time photographing boiler houses and Ive mostly stopped bothering unless they’re really special in some way.

The similarity between this and its sister station is striking - a bigger version of Ironbridge.

Yeah, exactly!

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I think most the points I'd have raised have already been mentioned by the others, I'm definitely a fan of those A.E.I. Machines myself, another top report though and one I've been looking forward to seeing for a while!