real time web analytics
Report - - Elton Mill, Cambridgeshire : Jan 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Elton Mill, Cambridgeshire : Jan 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Elton Mill

One from a couple of years back which I never got round to doing a report on. Me and @dansgas1000 visited on one of our weekend urbex trips.
Truth be told, I was never really happy with my photographs from here, they were way too orange, a culmination of my ancient Canon 400d and lack of photography skills at the time. I recently stuck the photos back through Lightroom and managed to kinda save most of them! I'd really like to go back, but from what I've heard, it's been sealed. Could always go in via the mill races but don’t fancy getting wet!

Constructed in the late 18th century, this mill stands on the grounds of an earlier mill, which was demolished and this one put in its place. It underwent a minor extension in the mid 19th century, with this new section featuring a plaque with ‘AD 1840’ inscribed on it.
Inside the mill remains an iron and wooden waterwheel, which is roughly 4.3m in diameter and 3.6m wide. There is still a lot of other milling machinery inside too. There was a miller's house, which was attached to the north-west end of the building, but this was demolished in 1881. I was unable to find a definite date on when the mill stopped being used.

The mill gained listed status in 1988, and has been on the Huntingdonshire District Council’s Buildings at Risk register since the 1990’s. There are no current plans to restore or find a use for the mill according to the council.

IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_6574.jpg

IMG_6567.jpg

Some beautiful wood work up on the 2nd floor

IMG_6545.jpg

IMG_6538.jpg

Think this part of the mill was still used for storage

IMG_6535.jpg

IMG_6574.jpg

IMG_6576.jpg

IMG_6579.jpg

IMG_6584.jpg

A lovely old Bamford stationary engine

IMG_6585.jpg

IMG_6597.jpg

IMG_6572.jpg

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
I can smell the pigeon droppings from here. Lovely old mechanisms there, like it a lot.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You did a good job un-oranging these photos lol. Lovely place. would love to go back! Agree with @Grom about the pigeon shit though, felt proper gippy after being in there all that time!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Lovely mill this. I personally like a rusting orange look. But great images. The machinery and wood pure heaven. Rustic looking. I do admire a good job on carpentry.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You did a good job un-oranging these photos lol. Lovely place. would love to go back! Agree with @Grom about the pigeon shit though, felt proper gippy after being in there all that time!
Lovely mill this. I personally like a rusting orange look. But great images. The machinery and wood pure heaven. Rustic looking. I do admire a good job on carpentry.
This place really is a joy and you have done it full justice with those pics...
Thanks all 🙂

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely covered, one of my fave local jaunts.
Ill be amazed if its sealed, its been open for best part of 6yr!