real time web analytics
Report - - Elton Mill, Cambridgeshire - January 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Elton Mill, Cambridgeshire - January 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
This is a place I had pinned for a while, and for some reason, I assumed it was going to be sealed. I was, however, halfway between home and this location so I thought I'd give it a try, and it was worth it in the end.

History
Elton Mill is an 18th Century Mill based in a quaint village in Cambridgeshire called Elton (who'd have guessed it!). The building pictured below is not actually the original mill which was demolished quite some time ago. This structure dates back to the 18th century and is owned by the Elton Estate. The building was extended during the 19th Century. There is limited information online in relation to the closure date of the mill, so if anyone knows I would be interested to hear.

In the late eighties, the mill became Grade II listed and was later added to the Huntingdonshire District Council’s Buildings at Risk register. Unfortunately, according to the Save Britain's Heritage website, the current owners have not taken a proactive planning for the future of the building with no plans in the pipeline.

Several local residents and others interested in the mill have highlighted that it would be an ideal site to turn into a museum thanks to the abundance of machinery that still exists inside the building. Still, the building may have a restricted future due to being right in the middle of a flood-risk area.

The Explore
The entrance, although hidden, was very easy. We actually came across a couple of other explorers in the building whom we spoke to for a short period of time. I and @V50jake really enjoyed this explore and were pleased to see very few, if any, traces of vandalism and was great to see the amount of machinery left behind as mentioned above.

Unfortunately, it was getting dark and I only had my torch and my phone, so the photographs are not the sharpest, but I managed to some-what breathe a bit of life into them with a bit of Lightroom magic ;)

Hope you enjoy the pics nevertheless.

First up, a couple of exterior shots.

I'm not 100% sure, but I assume this is the part that was built at a later date. I was surprised by how good condition the wood was in. This part was partly used for farm storage.

This was one of the upper floors...

Other bits:

Shame about the crop on the below one, I couldn't get the whole thing in...

The water wheel in all its glory. I really liked this!

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed the report!

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Your phone photos are better than my camera photos from this one! It was so dark in there.
Nice one
Haha, not sure how that's possible but I'll take it! Did you ever edit yours up or were they really that bad? Might have to do a revisit, then I can try with my camera as well :D

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Haha, not sure how that's possible but I'll take it! Did you ever edit yours up or were they really that bad? Might have to do a revisit, then I can try with my camera as well :D
I uploaded them to Facebook but then deleted as they were crap. Might be able to go through and re edit them up to look better. They were all just orange as fuck.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This mill was so nice. You did well on your phone.
I really enjoyed it, I'm not sure we didn't do it sooner if I'm honest! Thanks - was pleased with the pics I managed to salvage. Some were dire though which I had to delete, but at least I had a few worthy ones!

Ferox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pics mate. Looks a good one this place. We unfortunately had no luck here when we swung by in 2019.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice pics mate. Looks a good one this place. We unfortunately had no luck here when we swung by in 2019.
That's a shame, think access comes and goes for this place. Not sure what it's like now. Thanks for the nice comment!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great bit of millage. Seeing the wheel in situ and just the overall rustic natural gives this place real charm and great appeal. Fab set of images :thumb

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great bit of millage. Seeing the wheel in situ and just the overall rustic natural gives this place real charm and great appeal. Fab set of images :thumb
Thanks, Jane, it really was a nice visit!

Nicely done, one of my most visited local explores this.
Did u try walking up the water races? always fun that!
Thanks mate, a great place isn't it!

Having a dull moment here, what do you mean by water races haha?

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks, Jane, it really was a nice visit!

Thanks mate, a great place isn't it!

Having a dull moment here, what do you mean by water races haha?

crawling up from the river under the water wheels. there are 2 different races go under the mill (one has a geocache up there).
Hence as someone suggested this place is sometimes sealed, its always accessible if u are prepared to get wet ;-)

Who has read this thread (Total: 139) View details