real time web analytics
Report - - Elvian School - Reading - Feb 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Elvian School - Reading - Feb 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Zotez

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Apologies for the lack of reports recently, I have a backlog to post.

Brief History:
The school opened in 1931 as Presentation College, Reading, an independent boys' day school run by the Presentation Brothers. In May 2003, the Presentation Brothers made the highly controversial decision to close the school the following summer. However, due to the "Save Pres" campaign by staff and students, the Presentation Brothers reversed the decision and the school was transferred to a trust. However, in mid-2004 the school went into administration and was taken over by the Licensed Trade Charity and became the Elvian School. The final headteacher of the school was Paul Bevis.
On Sunday, 14 June 2009, one of the school's students, 15 year-old Nicholas Rice, died in an air collision incident over Sutton Courtenay, Oxfordshire. His Grob Tutor aeroplane collided with a civilian glider, during an Air Experience Flight. The pilot of the Grob Tutor, 62 year old Michael Blee, was also killed, while the pilot of the glider, Henry Freeborn, parachuted to safety and survived.
In January 2010, staff and parents of pupils were sent letters stating that the future of the school was unclear and that the feasibility of continuing to operate was being considered during a consultation period. On 3 March, a further letter and announcement by the school's director of education, Ian Mullins, stated that the consultation had unanimously agreed that the school could not run into the 2010/11 academic year.[4] The school closed in July 2010

The place is a deathtrap. Nearly all of the floor has been ripped up and the rest is rotten, the basement is full of drug needles and there are no windows. Still an enjoyable explore on a Sunday afternoon!

IMG_1960_zps46c98ecc.jpg

IMG_1955_zps8febf039.jpg

IMG_1982_zps21f95bf6.jpg

IMG_1968_zps9c06cd37.jpg

IMG_1986_zpsb04d1d96.jpg

IMG_1949_zps6ede9851.jpg

IMG_1917_zps6295954d.jpg

IMG_1934_zps4a684e8b.jpg

IMG_1924_zpsfc61a355.jpg

IMG_1884_zps2e0cbd4b.jpg

IMG_1868_zpscf9c34bd.jpg

IMG_1857_zps430b2ae6.jpg

IMG_1904_zps4eae87eb.jpg

IMG_1883_zps826fcba9.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Hotdog

28DL Member
28DL Member
Elvian School used to be known as Presentation College. The white bricked building was known as Oakland Hall and the red brick as the Grange. I believe Sutton Seeds owned Oakland Hall in the past, hence the attractive garden layout, and some unusual trees. In the last photo of the winding staircase, you may notice one of the balusters (vertical supports for handrail) is not original, but replaced with a square section piece of wood; I remember back in the 60's sitting there with my feet dangling over the edge when that piece was missing. I was staying at the school as a boarder and at one period was in a dorm on this top floor. Another memory was rigging up a two core wire/battery/buzzer and placing two bare ends under the flexible nose of the stair tread, which when trodden on use to make the circuit, and give us a warning that one of the teaching staff was on the way up (I guess we were clever little bastards!).