real time web analytics
Report - - Epic Shed - 22/03/09 | Military Sites | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Epic Shed - 22/03/09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Yep, and weighs in at 9 tons - take a look at THIS gentle attempt at making one float :thumb

Try that with a full load AND it will swamp. In almost all films of a Stolly being waterborne they are empty, so they ride high in the water.
Put a few Tons on the back then try it! and yes if you swamp the back it does start to sink, same is if you leave the drain cocks open (common trick)

Other problem is that the engine is under the load deck, so breakdown and you have to unload the pigging thing to get at it!

Good bit of kit, but not without its problems. Thankfully they were almost all operated by the RCT, and we got AEC 10 Tonners. (Knockers)

Brick_Man

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
aren't they fairly quick on the road? about 45mph? Or am i thinking of something else...

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
Check out that stalwart and samson! Someone must have got bored of a resto...

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
aren't they fairly quick on the road? about 45mph? Or am i thinking of something else...

The FV621/FV622 (Mark 1 & 2) had a military rated top speed of 65 KPH/40MPH but could do more with a light load.

Military Convoy Speeds in BAOR (Germany) where most Stalwarts were based in the 1970/80's was set at 25 Km's in the hour (Note 'In the hour' not 'Per Hour') based on the whole journey with rest breaks. [I still plan my journeys by car as 50 Miles in the hour and am not far out]

Convoy speed depended on road conditions, traffic conditions, and the speed of the slowest vehicle.

Speeds to plan for were:

Cities/built up areas = 24 Km/h (15 MPH).

Two lane roads = 40 Km/h (25 MPH).

Limited access expressways [Autobahn/Motorway] = 66 Km/h (40 MPH).

So as you can see the Stolly was built to spec!

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Re: Epic Shed - 22/03/09 - REPORT!

Any AFV with SP in the registration is a Trials and Experimental Vehicle

I believe the letters SITV on the side stand for 'System Integration Test Vehicle' although correct me if I'm wrong.

Maniac.

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
The FV621/FV622 (Mark 1 & 2) had a military rated top speed of 65 KPH/40MPH but could do more with a light load.

Talking about the CVRT family though (samson), ive seen a scimitar do 60 in reverse (and fowards) :eek Now thats crazy when you consider it has tracks and not wheels (as such)

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
When I was in Germany CVR(T)'s regularly got speeding tickets! I have even seen a photo of a Chieftain Tank that was clocked on a speed camera doing over 65 KPH on the road (Thats around 40 MPH which was fast for such a large tank) Picture was on the Squadron Notice Board for weeks. [and yes the drivers did have to pay speeding fines]

Official Top Road Speed for a CVR(T) was 80 KPH (50 MPH) as Dempsey says Forward or Reverse!

Official Top Road Speed for a Chieftain II MBT was 50 KPH (31 MPH)

MsK

28DL Member
28DL Member

Excellent shed!

that is one of the best sheds I've seen - certainly beats mine - it's full of cobwebs...and canoes..

Smurfinator :: I thought there was only me who kept a canoe in their shed. I now feel more normal to know it's not just me!

T

Taff

I believe the letters SITV on the side stand for 'System Integration Test Vehicle' although correct me if I'm wrong.

Maniac.

correct. also, from looking at the pics, it appears to be one of the trial variants from when these series of AFV's were converted from petrol to diesel engines.

the stalwart is on civilian number plates (AVK59H), which indicates that it has been "disposed" of by the MOD and put on the road by somone as a private vehicle. according to the DVLA, it is currently registered as "unlicensed" , no s**t sherlock!!

U

UkRocket

Love this. beautiful shed. got any morepics of the Car ?

keffa

Bringer of free Cylumes
28DL Full Member
I am a Royal Armoured Corps soldier. I'm pretty much qualified to drive practically the entire armoured fleet of the british army but one of my true joys is driving the CVRT range of vehicles. Actually to be more specific, it's driving the Scimitar of the CVRT family. Truly a nimble little beast, I've managed to get one of these to take air on the Catterick training area many times and recently at BATUS, I don't think it's possible to do this with any other armoured vehicle.

All armoured vehicles have their own little idiosyncrasies and there are skills and drills involved with driving them. With the CVRT family it's knowing when to go fast and slow. They are capable of incredible speeds but unfortunately they have a major drawback in that their very light weight means that terrain can present a real problem for them, go too fast and you bounce to such an extent it hurts, with most other armoured vehicles their weight dampens it out (And the more modern ones have hydrogas suspension).

Unfortunately the CVRT family are showing their age these days and are very unreliable to the point where you pretty much expect your vehicle to break down. The upshot is though they can be fixed with bits of string (Quite literally...at BATUS recently I had to tie a Scimitars air filter to the engine mount until the REME could look at it after its housing bolts snapped off using paracord). Also these days, manually traversed turrets simply don't cut it. They where designed for one thing and one thing only, to be extremely light and quick for sneaky beaky recce ops and so their armour is aluminium which doesn't really even offer adequate protection against 7.62.

The CVRT family still does not have a firm successor in the british army, primarily because of the move away from heavy armour and also because there is still no tracked vehicle today that completely replicates its peformance capabilities. There is talk of an upgraded version with hydrogas suspension and powered turret but personally I don't think it will come to pass.

One of the other little quirks of the CVRT family is that the driver sits quite literally on the left of the engine, with only a 7cm thick partition called the "firewall" separating him from the engine. This means he feels the heat coming from it which is either a blessing or a curse. In the -26 temperatures of Poland, it was a blessing. In the +38 temperatures of the prairie in BATUS (Canada) it's a curse! ;)

If there was a top gear of armoured vehicles, the CVRT would be the one where Jezza is saying "This is crap, thats crap, nothing works but damn driving it makes you feel good". ;)