real time web analytics
Report - - Euroclydon or Old men go exploring | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Euroclydon or Old men go exploring

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

C

crickleymal

Inspired by the roprt here http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2363&highlight=euroclydon my friend Souter and I decided to have a closer look at Euroclydon tunnel and the Bailey Level which can be found at SO 645 198. The Bailey Level was a goldmine dug because the rocks in this area are similar to the gold bearing rocks in South Africa. It's now owned by Ray Wright who owns Clearwell Caves and all the machinery in these photos belongs to him as well (I think).

Bailey Level
Image1.jpg

Euroclydon002.jpg

Euroclydon001.jpg

We then went to the North end of the tunnel (SO 641 186) which was open and we could then walk all the way through but the south end is locked tight which does stop chavs getting in and smashing stuff.
Euroclydon008.jpg

Image2.jpg

An old engine hoist
Image4.jpg

Euroclydon010.jpg

Euroclydon025.jpg

This looked like a refuge but led to quite a sizable cave with one end blocked with deads
Euroclydon030.jpg

MAchinery inside the southern entrance
Euroclydon018.jpg

Euroclydon020.jpg

Euroclydon023.jpg

Why is there a cattle cake crusher here?
Euroclydon017.jpg

A quick drive round to the outside of the southern entrance
Euroclydon042.jpg

Euroclydon036.jpg

So then we went and had a look at the old aerial ropway (SO 657 185) which took limestone down to the cement works in Mitcheldean

Not much left I'm afraid
Euroclydon052.jpg

Euroclydon053.jpg

But at the top of the cutting we found this which is one of the wierdest things I've seen.
Euroclydon056.jpg

It's a stone slab about 2 ft by 18 inches and carved into it is some writing which talks about going out when the moon is shining, don't go by the lane or you will never be seen again. Someone really put some effort into carving it because the writing is a good 4mm deep and one of the local cavers remembers it from his youth some 20 or 30 years ago.