real time web analytics
Report - - Exploring The Tube Part 3 - South Kentish Town/Bull and Bush/The NCLs | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Exploring The Tube Part 3 - South Kentish Town/Bull and Bush/The NCLs

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

siologen

I Go Where The Drains Are
Regular User
The Deep Levels are harder... Nuff Said :p

SOUTH KENTISH TOWN
South Kentish Town was abandoned cos just not enough people used it. It sits between Kentish Town and Camden Town on the High Barnet branch of the Northern Line. It was open barely 15 years, from 1907 to 1924.

It was my first Deep Level Station and Zero and i cracked it one night after barely a single reccie. It was the ballsiest.

Still tiled, devoid of platforms, but full of charm and erm... foreboding atmosphere, it was quite the rush to be down there.

Bottom of the stairs:
CNV00010-3.jpg

Crossover passages:
CNV00009.jpg

Down the platform bound stairs:
CNV00011-3.jpg

Up the platform bound stairs:
CNV00006-1.jpg

Joiner passage and landing:
CNV00008-3.jpg

Southbound Tunnel looking south:
CNV00005-1.jpg

And looking North:
CNV00007-2.jpg

BULL AND BUSH (NORTH END)

The tube station THAT NEVER OPENED. Built as North End Station in 1906 between Hampstead Road (later renamed as just 'Hampstead') and Golders Green, under the deepest part of Hampstead, in an area devoid of commercial areas and populated by only North Londons wealthiest, it was canned before shafts were ever driven to it from the surface, as the powers that be couldnt envisage it being used to a profitable level. By being left unopened, it gave the title of 'deepest tube station' to Hampstead, at 58.5 metres deep. Despite being closed, trains still run through North End at a depth of 67m.

It was used later on as the base for controlling the emergency floodgates that protected the tube tunnels near the Thames from bomb strikes, during the Cold War of all times. Shafts were dug down in the 1950s and workers on the job renamed the station Bull and Bush from its proximity to the famous freehouse nearby.

Bull and Bush is my favourite. Getting in was a fucking blast. Scary too.
The station is devoid of fittings (like most of the abandoned stations...) but only because they were never fitted rather than them having been removed.

The staircase is a bitch to climb, and leads to a small control room and abandoned lift shaft rooms before heading down to the partitioned platform cavity, which is now used for storage. Stupidly i only took a pissant little torch, so missing out on the chance to properly light the darkened sections...

Platform Cavities:
08660031.jpg

08660034.jpg

08660033.jpg

Platform Partition:
08660032.jpg

Crossover tunnel leading to an empty lift shaft base:
08660029.jpg

Staircase down to track level:
08660027.jpg

THE UPPER NCL
The Northern City Line was a branch of the Metropolitan Line before becoming part of what became the Northern Line. It ran as a single twin tube line from Moorgate to Finsbury Park before emerging from its oversized tunnels to open line. These oversized tube tunnels, huge at 16ft in diameter, were built to originally take main line trains but soon after their completion in 1904, ended up taking first Met stock tube trains, then later Northern line stock.

In 1964, sections were cannibalised for the Victoria Line, leaving almost a kilometre of abandoned tube tunnels.

And these.... are those.;)
CNV00024-1-1.jpg

CNV00016-3.jpg

CNV00018-3.jpg

CNV00023-1-1.jpg

And a little deeky at the Victoria Line, this is NCL tunnel reused for the southbound Victoria:
CNV00021-5.jpg

And newer, 1960's Northbound Vic Line Tunnel:
21380013.jpg

THE LOWER NCL
Butchered for the Victoria Line, but mostly left intact for National Rail trains to use, these are live, but far less dodgy than actual tube tunnels. They also contain a nice little abandoned section.

Single to Twins. Lighting created horrible reciprocity failure, so this shot has been monochromed:
CNV00027-1.jpg

Big Bastard:
CNV00023-4.jpg

Mega: (pic by Zero)
IMG_2222.jpg

The abandoned tunnel junction:
CNV00026-1.jpg

PS DONT YOU ALL LOVE THE WAY IM IN EVERY SINGLE PHOTO?! THOUGHT YOU MIGHT;)

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Looks amazing & nice pics. I know this was ages ago, but any how accessible they are now?

Generally less so.. The only reason these pictures are out in public now are that these guys eventually got caught and fucked by the BTP. Probably pays to remember that before you have a go :)

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great shots there. lol your in every shot, that made me giggle. What a poser ;) lol. But seriously, nice work. Loving the different hue shots:thumb

jkaee

28DL Member
28DL Member
Generally less so.. The only reason these pictures are out in public now are that these guys eventually got caught and fucked by the BTP. Probably pays to remember that before you have a go :)
Yeah will keep that in mind, thanks for the tip :)

siologen

I Go Where The Drains Are
Regular User
Ignore Speed, he just jelly.

By all accounts its EASIER to do tube now, cos after putting the boot up our arses... (tho it was mostly Bradley Carrots fault) they dont much care any more.
I left the UK after getting a 'speshal caushun' and TBF the BTP were proper Gents. It was TFL who were cuntish. N Mi5 had a whinge too.
But i didn't really suffer that hard cos i was always at work when them young-in LCC'rs were chasing my tail.
The Irony is these were the first batch... The LCC went on to to a BUNCH more and then Ole Mate Bukake (WHO REMEMBERS HIM?!) did ALL OF THEM. All 18.

Except one.
N i aint telling which one. But if you figure it out, itll (clickbait) Blow Your Mind.

Fuck, i was pretty Prince Harry Back Then.

Monkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ignore Speed, he just jelly.

By all accounts its EASIER to do tube now, cos after putting the boot up our arses... (tho it was mostly Bradley Carrots fault) they dont much care any more.
I left the UK after getting a 'speshal caushun' and TBF the BTP were proper Gents. It was TFL who were cuntish. N Mi5 had a whinge too.
But i didn't really suffer that hard cos i was always at work when them young-in LCC'rs were chasing my tail.
The Irony is these were the first batch... The LCC went on to to a BUNCH more and then Ole Mate Bukake (WHO REMEMBERS HIM?!) did ALL OF THEM. All 18.

Except one.
N i aint telling which one. But if you figure it out, itll (clickbait) Blow Your Mind.

Fuck, i was pretty Prince Harry Back Then.

Shhh.. no one is meant to know about the last one ;)