real time web analytics
Report - - Falcon Pottery Works ( W.H. Goss ) - Stoke on Trent - July 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Falcon Pottery Works ( W.H. Goss ) - Stoke on Trent - July 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wally_urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

William Henry Goss was an English potter who developed the souvenir trade in pottery with his 'Goss' crested china, and innovated the use of Heraldic Porcelain.
WH Goss moved to the Falcon Works in Stoke-on-Trent around 1870. In 1883, his son Adolphus joined the business and was a key figure in developing the souvenir trinkets that their pottery produced. The works was extended between 1902 and 1905, and before William died in 1906, he handed over the business to two of his other sons, Victor Henry and William Huntley Goss. In 1913, Victor Henry died in a riding accident leaving WIlliam Huntley in sole charge of the business. He wasn't interested in expansion, and the neglect saw it fell behind the times in terms of progress. In 1929, the business was taken over by Cauldon Potteries who continued using the Goss name. That same year, Goss were an exhibitor at the British Industries Fair in Birmingham and listed as manufacturing Ivory Porcelain, Teaware, Preserve Pots, Souvenirs and Art Pottery.
After being bought out by Harold T. Robinson, the Goss factory closed in 1944. In 1979, the two remaining kilns and the surviving warehouse/workshop range were given listed status.

The Explore

Had known abouit this place for a while and finally got to explore it a few weeks ago.
What i didnt realise was that it is smack bang in a residential area, but i wasnt going to let that put me off, so i just walked right on to site.
Inside the old work house is littered with old, heavy pottery moulds and equipment, some still in pretty good condition.
However the upper floors were pretty bare and in some parts had collapsed.
Still a pretty good explore plus getting inside the kilns was pretty cool.

Last edited:

Salad_Dodger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not sure who actually owns this buidling, but what does make my blood boil is that Stoke City Council are spending circa £9 million on a new multi-story car park for a city centre nobody uses, but don't seem to be interested in saving any of the history of the place. Feel free to correct me, but the number of bottle kilns still standing is now well into single figures.

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice, you can't go wrong with a Victorian pot bank.

This is the former Goss works, not Weatherby however. I can see how confusion arises with both works being called 'Falcon' though!

Wally_urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

This is the former Goss works, not Weatherby however. I can see how confusion arises with both works being called 'Falcon' though!
Ahh really,

Cheers for the info mate. Will change the title

Lindylou

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This place was fab and awful for us at the same time! Plates in racks still, moulds and jugs a plenty, but the flip side was the millions of smack needles thrown in the equipment, were they still strewn everywhere?

Wally_urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This place was fab and awful for us at the same time! Plates in racks still, moulds and jugs a plenty, but the flip side was the millions of smack needles thrown in the equipment, were they still strewn everywhere?
Didn't see any

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Not sure who actually owns this buidling, but what does make my blood boil is that Stoke City Council are spending circa £9 million on a new multi-story car park for a city centre nobody uses, but don't seem to be interested in saving any of the history of the place. Feel free to correct me, but the number of bottle kilns still standing is now well into single figures.

Portmeirion owned it up until recently, they had planned to restore and convert it into part of their factory however the plans were refused and it was sold on to another company.

Who has read this thread (Total: 143) View details