real time web analytics
Report - - Farleigh Down Tunnel - March 14 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Farleigh Down Tunnel - March 14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Visited with a non member,

We visited a couple of months back, nice walk with still some features left, getting my car blocked in by pikeys on the way out made for an interesting day, they gave it away a bit with a trailor and 3 tesco trolleys in the back :D

Done many times but here is some history

Monkton Farleigh ammunition depot utilised an old stone quarry below a plateau some 450 feet above the valley floor in which ran the main line railway that was its principal source of supply. Before the depot could be commissioned, an efficient means was need to bring in ammunition from the railway at Farleigh Down Sidings. The sidings were just over a mile from the depot as the crow flies but more than four miles by road along steep and tortuous country lanes

Monkton Farleigh Mine is the largest of the three Central Ammunition Depots and consists of 80 acres of tunnels and storage districts.
Built during WW2, it was decommissioned in 1965 and sold off in 1976.

Some pics

13678114475_2800313804_c.jpg

13678109475_36d8d2a5a2_c.jpg

13678149713_cb0c6eb8c3_c.jpg

13678453914_b3dd58ceaa_c.jpg

13678145073_a154aeb45e_c.jpg

13678450494_db0b343f92_c.jpg

13678445054_bb519c973b_c.jpg

13678443744_11050be7dc_c.jpg

13678459044_ab946429bc_c.jpg

Last edited:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Re: Monkton Farligh Down Tunnel - March 14

Nice pictures.

God knows how much WW2 'grafitti' those little shits have sprayed over.

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User

Yeah its pretty wrecked down there, hard to find original stuff in between all the rubbish

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Excellent pictures and interesting history cheers for posting it up....fecking pikeys :(

Telf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Looks good fun this place m8 :thumb good report and pics also.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Nice pics :thumb

Could have some fun in this place if it wasn"t so far away, be nice to light a Tunnel up that"s not full of Soot :)

Would have expected some decent "Graff" in here TBH :(

mw0sec

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Monkton Farleigh Down Tunnel - March 14

God, what a ruddy mess. I remember it untouched.

Steambod

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Got a load of piccies from the 80s before it all went to pot. The place was open for a while in the 80s as the "Secret Underground City" and had a couple of visits with some folks from work and Trowbridge college who were sorting out the electrics. One story of the pikey who went down there to get some cable and put his axe through the 33kV feeder to one of the substations: couple of villages lost power and when they investigated they found the remains of the axe embedded in the cable. The photo down Main West still had the pulleys in place for the wire haulage and there were some wagons down by the entrance into the old mine workings. Still have the plans of the place somewhere.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Can anyone give me directions to this place please ?

So you couldn"t even say ........nice pics or something before asking for info ? :banghead

We don"t ask for, or give locations or access details on an open Public Forum for reasons that should be obvious.

Maybe you could live up to your name and explore ? or failing that try Google ;)

swindonianexplorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lol yea soz . I've only just joined the forum been following it for a while.and they are nice pics btw, reminds me of some tunnels we have here that go under our train station, obviously not as long though lol