real time web analytics
Report - - Fawley Power Station, Hampshire - January 2017 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fawley Power Station, Hampshire - January 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Generating electricity since 1972, Fawley was an oil fired power station on the western shore of Southampton water in Hampshire.

Commissioned by the CEGB, Fawley was built by Mitchell Construction, comprising 4 sets of 500MW Parsons generating units, totalling 2GW capacity. Two units were mothballed in 1995, leaving 1GW capacity remaining.

The power station has a few unique and interesting architectural features. The boiler house is clad in marine grade glass arranged in a zig-zag pattern, which still looks modern and shiny to this day. By the late 1960s, not only the huge main buildings of power stations were designed to make a statement, attention to the ancillary buildings was also being drawn. No other power station reflects this more than the “flying saucer” design of the control building, a large round structure juxtaposed against the straight lines of the expansive turbine hall and towering boiler house behind. Flanking the control building with another huge contrast of design elements, the canteen building is formed from triangular concrete sections.

fawley-power-station-53.jpg

To minimise the visual impact the power station would have on the surroundings, Fawley was built in a 24 foot deep trench. Unusually, the turbine floor is at ground level, and the lower level of the turbine hall is within a basement. The result is the building, with the exception of the 650ft chimney, is hardly visible from the surrounding areas. The only place to view the building in its entirety is from the Solent or immediate shoreline.

Fawley was never used to full capacity. Being built just before the oil crisis of the 1970s meant it was expensive to run, despite being listed as the most efficient power station in the UK at the time. The power station opted out of the Large Combustion Plant Directive (LCPD), meaning it would not comply with new emissions regulations and therefore could operate for no more than 10,000 hours until the end of 2015. Owners RWE announced closure in 2012 and the station generated electricity for the last time on 31 March 2013.

Visited with @The Amateur Wanderer, @SpiderMonkey and Jamie_P

Turbine Hall

Apologies for the excessive turbine pictures!

fawley-power-station-10.jpg

Overview of the turbine hall

fawley-power-station-11.jpg

One of the 4 parsons generating units

fawley-power-station-1.jpg

Unit One

fawley-power-station-17.jpg

Getting up close to unit 3

fawley-power-station-19.jpg

Front of a Parsons turbine

fawley-power-station-22.jpg

Stepping back a bit, we see a lot of ancillary equipment around the turbines

fawley-power-station-9.jpg

Unit 1 from above

fawley-power-station-21.jpg

Alternator

fawley-power-station-18.jpg

Parsons plate

fawley-power-station-48.jpg

Unit 2's alternator had been stripped down

fawley-power-station-12.jpg

Wider view across the turbine hall with boiler house behind

fawley-power-station-13.jpg

View from crane

fawley-power-station-47.jpg

Turbine with crane above

fawley-power-station-49.jpg

Unit 1

fawley-power-station-4.jpg

Feed pump in the turbine hall basement

fawley-power-station-3.jpg

Feed pumps

fawley-power-station-2.jpg

Pipes in the basement

Boiler House
The oil-fired boiler were quite interesting, and well lit encased within all that glass

fawley-power-station-14.jpg

Very cool looking gauge bank

fawley-power-station-15.jpg

Gauges on front of boilers

fawley-power-station-16.jpg

Firing face, very similar to Littlebrook which was also oil fired

fawley-power-station-35.jpg

Tanks deeper in the boiler house

fawley-power-station-36.jpg

Boiler house

fawley-power-station-39.jpg

The marine-grade glass cladding of the boiler house

Gas Turbines

fawley-power-station-5.jpg

Gas turbines 1 and 2

fawley-power-station-37.jpg

Gas turbines 3 and 4

fawley-power-station-38.jpg

Gas turbine

Continued....

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
poldfawleyps1.jpg

Admin and control building

The admin building is like no other - a huge round structure resembling a flying saucer, as seen in the photo from 1970s above

fawley-power-station-44.jpg

The entrance lobby features a scale model of the site

fawley-power-station-40.jpg

Everything inside follows the structures circular shape with sweeping curves

fawley-power-station-41.jpg

Even the laboratory was curved

fawley-power-station-43.jpg

Laboratory

fawley-power-station-46.jpg

View into the turbine hall at the end of the connecting bridge

fawley-power-station-23.jpg

Atop the UFO sits the command centre - a huge circular control room

fawley-power-station-52.jpg

Unit 3 and 4 control panels

fawley-power-station-24.jpg

The control room was huge!

fawley-power-station-25.jpg

Panels

fawley-power-station-28.jpg

The old microphones were fantastic.

fawley-power-station-30.jpg

Unlike any of the other stations I've visited, all the controls were original. Even the epic control room at Ferrybridge had been retrofitted with semi-computerised systems and the panels rearranged accordingly, but here at Fawley everything was genuinely original.

fawley-power-station-31.jpg

Layers of panels

fawley-power-station-32.jpg

Spiral staircase in the middle of the room

fawley-power-station-33.jpg

Synchroscopes

fawley-power-station-34.jpg

In the centre of the admin block there was a conference room. The projection room behind unfortunately is now without projectors.

fawley-power-station-50.jpg

Locker rooms

fawley-power-station-51.jpg

Rotating door in the entrance to the bath house​

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Amazing mate, cracking report and really enjoyed it.

I've never explored this place, out of my league (far to easy lol) but I I've been in there quite a lot with work, particularly the roof, the UFO and general mooches about the place whist looking like I was working.

Did you notice that the gantry crane runs outside to the loading dock, via the glass end of the building that opens by swinging upwards?

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Amazing mate, cracking report and really enjoyed it.

I've never explored this place, out of my league (far to easy lol) but I I've been in there quite a lot with work, particularly the roof, the UFO and general mooches about the place whist looking like I was working.

Did you notice that the gantry crane runs outside to the loading dock, via the glass end of the building that opens by swinging upwards?

Not much has changed then - there were still a good number of workers wandering around looking like they were working but not actually doing much! Made the first visit a bit awkward to say the least.

I did notice the crane rails, but didn't pay that much attention (I had other things on my mind whilst outside!) That's pretty amazing that it opens up like that, a really interesting little fact actually.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
you little beauty you..that sir is simply the mutts nuts, job well done.